•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LXD-75 gem vs. LX-200 mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 peregrineflier

peregrineflier

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

Hi, is the LX-200 an all around better mount than the LXD-75 Gem? I have a LXD-55 but really want a LX-200 but I have grown to love Gems. so easy to set up and transport, plus being able to change OTA's so easy.
So what are the advantages to the LX-200? :question:

Thanks, Tom

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

So what are the advantages to the LX-200? :question:

Thanks, Tom

Bigger/better bearings, more precise gearing, and a more precise drive controller. The tradeoff is the loss of versatility.

#3 Rudy Nix

Rudy Nix

Vostok 1

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

I've had a LX200 Classic 10" SCT for years and have used it both for observing and astrophotography. I have a permanent pier set up in my backyard so only the initial setup was a little painstaking. If one were to use only a tripod, set up with a wedge can be challenging. I now also have a refractor, and was not able to use it on my permanent pier because of the LX200. I switched my mount over to an Atlas EQ-G and removed the SCT off it's fork mount. Now I am able to use both scopes on the permanent pier. The LX200 did have better accuracy in tracking, but hopefully, after I do the rebuild on the Atlas, it will be comparable.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics