Photo

What else needed with G-11 purchase

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 DJCarcel

DJCarcel

Explorer 1

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

I have decided to give up on the DM-6 and purchase a G-11 for my TEC-140. I just can't take the constant pushing and waiting to get the planet or whatever back in the field of view. At any rate, I know that there is a whole host of needed options to set a G-11 up properly. I am sure I will need the motor covers but all the knobs and such, I can't tell. The G-11 will be permanently attached to a JMI tripod dolly so once set up, it will remain locked down that way. It will be used from my patio which is a roll out then back in. So any help costomizing it would be helpful.
Also I am still not sure about wether to get the Gemini system or not. It is an additional $1000 but more as an add on. I generally just observe the moon and planets since my skys are very light poluted and most DS objects just get washed out.
One last question, how easy or difficult would it be to roll a G-11 with scope the size of a TEC-140 attached through a 3' doorway. Thanks for the input. Dave

#2 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

I don't know the dimensions but it may be a tight roll-through.
Customizing ideas:

* Casady tip-in saddle
* SS counterweights (Casady)

Rob

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

I had a G11 for 10+ years and it needed nothing. I'm a die-hard starhoper so wouldn't pay extra for goto. $1000 seems like a heck of a lot for go-to as the only difference is adding a controller. I have a CG5 that cost <$600 and a SLT mount that cost <$270 and they both have excellent go-to, so that tells you a controller could be pretty inexpensive.

#4 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

I had a G11 for 10+ years and it needed nothing. I'm a die-hard starhoper so wouldn't pay extra for goto. $1000 seems like a heck of a lot for go-to as the only difference is adding a controller. I have a CG5 that cost <$600 and a SLT mount that cost <$270 and they both have excellent go-to, so that tells you a controller could be pretty inexpensive.

Hi Luigi,

Interesting comparison between the different GoTo and the price you mention.

If you never had a Gemini Goto I guess you can not make such a comparison.

One thing ist just a GoTo and the other thing is the parametrization off all the mount variables and the possibilities the Gemini GoTo offers you for controlling the mount.

Just my 2 cents ...

#5 Joselo

Joselo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:16 AM

totally agree with Rainer,
Gemini and G11 are a perfect match. If you want GoTo for a G11, Gemini is the way to go...

#6 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

>>>If you want GoTo for a G11, Gemini is the way to go... <<<

No argument there, it's just very expensive.

As far as "the parametrization off all the mount variables" I'm not a computerized mount aficianado so what capabilities are you talking about and how do these differ from what're available in the Celestron ASGT systems? I know that the the ASGT does not have PEC. Anything else?

#7 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

I would suggest the clutch knob replacement. The can be a pain to use with ice cold hands.

#8 Mike C

Mike C

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

I too am considering the G11, or maybe something smaller like the Vixen SXD. The G11 is actually better value if I don't opt for goto (which is standard on the SXD).

One consideration is storage space, which is very limited. Does anyone know the distance between the G11 tripod feet when the legs are not extended?

Thanks.

#9 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Are you getting Gemini GOTO or not? The motor covers are for the non-Gemini stepper motors only. Gemini replaces the standard motors entirely.

You'll want the "Three Knob" set for attaching the mount head to the tripod pillar without tools. Losmandy makes a set as do certain aftermarket suppliers like ADM.

For visual use only I would skip the polar scope. For imaging I would consider it.

Reflective leg tape or the Losmandy glow in the dark tripod feet pads help prevent accidents if you offer members of the public a peek through your scope.

I assume you already have a TEC dovetail. If so, it is Losmandy compatible.

The other thing I would mention is that the Celestron CGE is on special sale at OPT for $2680. For equal price, I would go with the G-11. At this price delta, however, it's hard to ignore the CGE.

I wouldn't plan on carrying the scope on the mount through any door ways. That's an accident (tube bang/leg bang) waiting to happen. The Mounts I mentioned are nice an modular. I recommend taking a little extra time and moving the mount in pieces and assembling it on site, then attaching the OTA.

The G-11 or CGE with counterweights plus the OTA would be heavy, imbalanced, irregular and bulky.

Regards,

Jim

#10 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

"...as the only difference is adding a controller"

Two controllers actually - the mainboard electronics and a new hand controller.

That and also adding totally different Swiss servo motors with high accuracy encoders on each axis.

Regards,

Jim

#11 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

>>>If you want GoTo for a G11, Gemini is the way to go... <<<

As far as "the parametrization off all the mount variables" I'm not a computerized mount aficianado so what capabilities are you talking about and how do these differ from what're available in the Celestron ASGT systems? I know that the the ASGT does not have PEC. Anything else?

Too many but you can read the manual here

and about your comment

In USA they use to say " You get what you pay for " and the word expensive is a subjectiv feeling and personal to every one. I prefer to say it is overvalued or it has its fair value etc.

#12 rsbfoto

rsbfoto

Messenger

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

I too am considering the G11, or maybe something smaller like the Vixen SXD. The G11 is actually better value if I don't opt for goto (which is standard on the SXD).

One consideration is storage space, which is very limited. Does anyone know the distance between the G11 tripod feet when the legs are not extended?

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

Totally extended = ~ 48"

Completely in = ~ 33"

I just reread you question and from the image i guess it is about 80cm ~ 32". I can measure it today afternoon and send the exact distance the legs do spread.

#13 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

You'll need at least 36 inches to store for G11. Distance between two legs is about 29 inches but you need space to clear leg knobs.

You need 32 inches for Vixen SXD. I have both next each other in living room :)

Tammy

#14 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

Sounds to me like you plan to leave it completely setup and just roll it in and out.....

If that is indeed the case then you would be wasting you $$ on the items that make setup and teardown easier. Any accessories that I would recommend would be those that enhance the use of it.... such as the clutch knob upgrades etc......

#15 DJCarcel

DJCarcel

Explorer 1

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

Sounds to me like you plan to leave it completely setup and just roll it in and out.....

If that is indeed the case then you would be wasting you $$ on the items that make setup and teardown easier. Any accessories that I would recommend would be those that enhance the use of it.... such as the clutch knob upgrades etc......

That is the plan, it would be setup complete mount and scope on a tripod dolly and wheeled in and out when desired. Only problem I see is 3' doorway to patio. It is a French setup so door swings fully open and screen slides out of way but actual opening is just 33". Right now I slowly manuver the TEC-140 on DM-6 with Berlebach tripod one foot at a time over the sill. I am not sure how much more ungainly the setup would be with a G-11 on the tripod dolly instead. Thanks, Dave

#16 Mike C

Mike C

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

Hi Tammy and Rainer. Thanks for those measurements. Looks like I'll be able to accommodate either. :)

I have other questions on the G11 and certain Vixen alternatives, but I'll raise them on another thread in due course rather than hijack this one.

Thanks again.

#17 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

I added levers to my G11 clutch knobs. Not quite as trick as the factory knobs but they only cost me $10.

Attached Files

#18 SkyscraperJim

SkyscraperJim

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

Since you're going to be using your G11 in a semi-permanent setup, you don't need the tripod knobs. They only make it convenient to setup and take down the field.

The motor covers also may not be necessary. I ordered mine without and figured I'd add them later, but so far I have found that I don't need them. The covers they give you are preinstalled, and are a fairly rigid plastic, so unless your scope will be stored in a garage where other things are likely to bump into it, I wouldn't worry about them.

You'll want at least one extra counterweight and a dovetail plate. I got my counterweights from Casady and dovetail plates from ADM.

Also don't forget the polar scope. The mount doesn't include one so you'll need to add it to your package.

The clutch knobs may also be useful. This was another item I planned on picking up at some point, but have gotten by without it (haven't used the mount much in extreme cold yet though, the observatory is always snowed in for the winter).

I didn't get the Gemini system with mine, since I was planning on only getting a well-built mount for the lowest cost, and that's with the G11 offered. I like using star charts, and am not serious enough about photography yet to make go-to capability a requirement. If you're planning on doing a good deal of astrophotography, get the Gemini.

Hope this helps.

#19 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

I have my TEC 140 on a G11 mount that does not have Gemini. You do not need Gemini for astrophotography. I use the same laptop that controls my camera to interface with my mount and I push-to the next object I image. So, there would be a cost savings there if you use a laptop.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics