CG5 Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

I have a CG5 goto mount,I am using it for planetary imaging.whan I first got it the planets would stay centered,but now they drift quickly. Any advice would be appreciated. :question:

#2 Tim Gilliland

Tim Gilliland

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sand Springs Okla.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

Numerous faults can cause this. The first thing I would reccommend would be to double check polar alignment. Also make sure all settings are correct in the setup. I.E. location,time,Daylight savings,date. Make sure the mount is level and well balenced. If all this fails is the mount set in sidereal tracking rate? If still not tracking well you may have a mechanical problem. Hope thats not the case.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

Numerous faults can cause this. The first thing I would reccommend would be to double check polar alignment. Also make sure all settings are correct in the setup. I.E. location,time,Daylight savings,date. Make sure the mount is level and well balenced. If all this fails is the mount set in sidereal tracking rate? If still not tracking well you may have a mechanical problem. Hope thats not the case.

Not really. Settings will not cause planets to drift from the field. Nor will leveling, which is not needed for good tracking. Polar mis-alignment is the only (common) thing that will cause this drift. Balance is a _possibility_, but far more likely is polar alignment.

#4 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the help, also what is the point of the peg on the tripod being over the leg instead of between the legs?

#5 mtb.daily

mtb.daily

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:33 PM

The peg is where the north side of the tripod is located.

depending on how you setup's weight is placed(all components) this will determine the best place for the peg.

Usually, the peg is over a single leg as you have short period when setting everything up where you have all the weights the CW shaft but have not yet, attached the OTA. At this point, you want to be sure the tripod/mount don't tip over. Hence the peg being placed over the leg and NOT between.

Basically, Safety comes first

-Jerry

#6 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

If you haven't tried the new firmware's Polar Alignment program, yet, then you should consider doing so.

#7 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

I heard the allstar alignment works great, but I have to buy a cable to update the scope.

#8 Jim Romanski

Jim Romanski

Vanguard

• Loc: Guilford, Connecticut

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

The peg is where the north side of the tripod is located.

depending on how you setup's weight is placed(all components) this will determine the best place for the peg.

Usually, the peg is over a single leg as you have short period when setting everything up where you have all the weights the CW shaft but have not yet, attached the OTA. At this point, you want to be sure the tripod/mount don't tip over. Hence the peg being placed over the leg and NOT between.

Basically, Safety comes first

-Jerry

This is correct. However, the reason you would position the peg between the legs is if you live at a very low latitude such that the counter weights will be at an angle that might bang into the single leg.

#9 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:36 PM

Jim that is impossible unless the legs move?? :troll: :troll:

#10 Jim Romanski

Jim Romanski

Vanguard

• Loc: Guilford, Connecticut

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:55 PM

Jim that is impossible unless the legs move?? :troll: :troll:

I was remembering this CN review: http://www.cloudynig...php?item_id=402

Go to the end of the review where Tony writes: "IMPORTANT ASSEMBLY TIP...Celestron advised me that they drilled the base with the two holes so that the counterweight could be positioned between the legs instead of over a tripod leg. They said that this is sometimes necessary with certain setups at low lattitudes so as to avoid interference with the legs."

I assumed he meant the counterweight. But I just went over to my CG5 and I think you're correct that the counterweight doesn't hit. I guess potentially your scope could.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics