M64 with a 4 inch refractor.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

The Black-Eye Galaxy can be admired with a modest telescope. The galaxy looks rather bright, and its oval disk shows some fine detail. I must admit that the dark feature lacks the contrast seen on photographs. It can easily be overlooked if the observer is not aware of its existence. Hints of this dust lane are visible in a four inch scope under good conditions. Here is how M64 appears from my backyard. Can you see the dust lane?

Site : Bekkevoort, Belgium ( 51° N )
Date : May 22, 2009
Time : around 23.30 UT
Scope : Skywatcher 102/500mm achromatic refractor
Eyepiece : Baader Hyperion 5mm
Magnification : 100x
FOV: 41’
Filter : none
Seeing : 3/5
Transp. : 4/5
Sky brightness : 19.89 magnitudes per square arc second near zenith (SQM reading).
Nelm: 5.7
Sketch Orientation: N up, W right.
Digital sketch made with Corel Paint Shop Pro X2, based on a raw pencil sketch.

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

Rony,

This is a very nice galaxy for all sizes of telescope. You have done something here that is most impressive. Besides the capture of the dark dust lane you have captured the way this galaxy's outer stars gradually thin out to the blackness of space beyond the edge. I can see that feature well but have had poor success getting a good scan of that gradual drop off in brightness. Well done Rony. :bow: :rainbow: :cool:

Frank :)

#3 4Texans

4Texans

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: TX

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

Rony,

Beautiful sketch. What an incentive to spend time obseriving though a smaller telescope.

#4 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Deventer, The Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

Rony, your sketches always resemble the image I see at first glance through much larger telescopes like my 8" folding ruler Dobson. When I take more time observing I see more detail with that bigger scope of course, but I think it's amazing to see the amount of detail you are able to see with your much smaller telescopes.

Combined with a great talent for digital rendering it makes every single sketch a joy to look at!

#5 Roel

Roel

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Deventer, The Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:47 AM

had poor success getting a good scan of that gradual drop off in brightness.

Maybe it's a good idea to make a digital photograpp of your sketches. My scanner also does a horrible job picking up the subtle gradients. Here's an example of a digital photo of one of my sketches (scroll down):

http://www.astroforu...pje-t19070.html

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:34 PM

Rony,

Awesome job yet again! You capture so much in your smaller scope. I have to say that I am no longer amazed at your digital sketches but I am amazed at the talent it takes to do this. Well done. Yes, I can see the dust lane by the way.

Roel,

What a wonderful capture of M8! I really enjoy your digital image of it. I agree that I haven't had a scanner yet that will pick up the details of my sketches and that is why I am moving into digital capture. Anyway, great posts. Thanks for sharing to both!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics