CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tools of the Trade?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

I am interested in sketching have been for a while and now I want to start. I have never sketched a thing in my life, other than stick figures. I am willing to learn.

I picked up a basic sketchers starter kit with consisted of a 2B HB another and another I can't name right now. I know one has a quite large lead to it and is jet black and there was also a pliable eraser. Also picked up a 400 series 5.5x8.5 sketch book to draw in.

Now, I have no idea what these pencils do other than draw but what are each used for what does an HB do that a 2B can't?

I am planning on spending lots of time on my first sketch tonite, wish me luck :)

I have read plenty of how to's on this forum just trying to figure out how to use the "tools of the trade"

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

This article in Wikipedia gives you some insight into what the various pencil leads will do. Go down about 1/2 way to see the colors and hardness/softness of the lead. For me softer lead means darker colors and harder lead means lighter colors on the sheet:

Wiki Pencil Lead

Jeremy Perez has an excellent site with some tutorials:
belt of venus

After that the biggest advice I have is sketch, sketch and sketch some more. You'll look back in a year and see your own growth.

#3 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

I almost always use an HB for everything and go over the stars with a felt-tip pen. An HB is a medium pencil, the 2B is somewhat softer making it darker and easier to blend. Darker pencils are good for the moon, I think they're unnecessary for DSOs, but they won't hurt anything.

Welcome and good luck with your first sketch, be sure to post it here when you're done!

#4 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

Like Tenth, I do almost everything in HB. The one exception would be some of the stippling in a globular cluster which I use a harder pencil for (3H, I think).

Jeremy's tutorials are great. There's probably a link on his website to the book he, Rich, Erika, Sol and David wrote, which is also to be recommended. (Most of those folks are regulars 'round these parts.)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics