• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Enfield, NS Canada

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

I am interested in sketching have been for a while and now I want to start. I have never sketched a thing in my life, other than stick figures. I am willing to learn.

I picked up a basic sketchers starter kit with consisted of a 2B HB another and another I can't name right now. I know one has a quite large lead to it and is jet black and there was also a pliable eraser. Also picked up a 400 series 5.5x8.5 sketch book to draw in.

Now, I have no idea what these pencils do other than draw but what are each used for what does an HB do that a 2B can't?

I am planning on spending lots of time on my first sketch tonite, wish me luck :)

I have read plenty of how to's on this forum just trying to figure out how to use the "tools of the trade"

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

This article in Wikipedia gives you some insight into what the various pencil leads will do. Go down about 1/2 way to see the colors and hardness/softness of the lead. For me softer lead means darker colors and harder lead means lighter colors on the sheet:

Wiki Pencil Lead

Jeremy Perez has an excellent site with some tutorials:
belt of venus

After that the biggest advice I have is sketch, sketch and sketch some more. You'll look back in a year and see your own growth.

#3 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:46 PM

I almost always use an HB for everything and go over the stars with a felt-tip pen. An HB is a medium pencil, the 2B is somewhat softer making it darker and easier to blend. Darker pencils are good for the moon, I think they're unnecessary for DSOs, but they won't hurt anything.

Welcome and good luck with your first sketch, be sure to post it here when you're done!

#4 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

Like Tenth, I do almost everything in HB. The one exception would be some of the stippling in a globular cluster which I use a harder pencil for (3H, I think).

Jeremy's tutorials are great. There's probably a link on his website to the book he, Rich, Erika, Sol and David wrote, which is also to be recommended. (Most of those folks are regulars 'round these parts.)

Cheers,
-- Jeff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics