Photo

Tasco 11TR mount problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 novasvx

novasvx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

I picked up a 4in reflector scope cheap at a garage sale. It's in great shape except that the latitude adjustment won't stay in place no matter how much I tighten the screw.

I took it apart and thought it was strange that the latitude adj had grease in it and there is a large washer between the setscrew and the mount. This is my 1st time with an equatorial mount so I don't know if this is normal or not. It appears to be the original grease.
Any ideas?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

I picked up a 4in reflector scope cheap at a garage sale. It's in great shape except that the latitude adjustment won't stay in place no matter how much I tighten the screw.

I took it apart and thought it was strange that the latitude adj had grease in it and there is a large washer between the setscrew and the mount. This is my 1st time with an equatorial mount so I don't know if this is normal or not. It appears to be the original grease.
Any ideas?

First step might be to clean that grease off. This scope has some years on it, no doubt, and there's always the chance someone decided to "improve" it.

Failin' that, trot on over to the Classic Scopes forum. ;)

#3 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

Hi,

This mount is an older version of todays light-weight EQ2 mount that you will see used on many asian made scopes. There are slight differences and improvements that have been made, but the basics should be the same.

As Rod says, cleaning it up is a good idea. I did it to mine, and it became a lot smoother. One negative that I did find though, was that the thick "grease" being used was also to make up for poor tolerances, so now it's actually got some play in certain areas.

I seem to recall there being grease in that area on mine, but no amount of the grease they used could make the thing not hold the latitude unless there is something wrong with the lock (bolt, thread, knob, etc.) and it not being able to apply much force to the latitude adjustment fork.

Hope this helps,

-Gord

#4 novasvx

novasvx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

I took it apart and greased it up. It sill doesn't hold. Can't see any reason why it shouldn't. Does anyone have an 11TR that they can take apart and see if I'm missing some parts in the latitude adjuster? Like I said, the only thing inside mine is a large washer.
One other strange thing is that it gets tighter near the 90 degree mark and looser on either end.

Can it be fixed or do I need to look for another mount?

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

I took it apart and greased it up. It sill doesn't hold. Can't see any reason why it shouldn't. Does anyone have an 11TR that they can take apart and see if I'm missing some parts in the latitude adjuster? Like I said, the only thing inside mine is a large washer.
One other strange thing is that it gets tighter near the 90 degree mark and looser on either end.

Can it be fixed or do I need to look for another mount?

You don't want to grease up the latitude axis, but ungrease it (with mineral spirits). If it still won't hold, add a thin washer...fabric or nylon bein' best.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics