Photo

Anyone control the HEQ5 from a PC with TheSky6?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

I posted this problem in the sofware section with no luck so I thought I would try posting it here:

I setup my CGEM to be controlled by TheSky6 from a PC and it works perfect. But I decided to try it out on the Orion Sirius (HEQ5). Everything works fine except I keep getting this error message after every slew command. The slews work and go to the right place and the ra/dec coordinates appear on the hand controller so why the error?

This is the message:
NO RESPONSE FROM THE DEVICE ERROR CODE = 203 (0xcb)

I can just ignore the error and everything is ok but it is kind of annoying having to do that after every command. I would also like to know that this will go away if I upgrade to the TheSkyX ?

There is no specific selection for Sirius or HEQ5 in the list of compatible telescopes for the TheSky6, but I was told that it should work if I select CG-5. I select CG-5 for the CGEM and it works great. I have actually tried controlling the HEQ5 with just about everything in that list but either get no connection or I get that error message.

#2 Peds

Peds

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Brasília, Brazil

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

It works perfect with my Atlas EQ-G which is similar to your Sirius... Have you updated the hand controller? Are you connecting the mount from the controller to the computer using a serial cable?

I'm currently connecting my Atlas to the computer through the go-to hand controller with a serial cable and a usb/serial adapter. All I have to do to get it working is choose the appropriate COM port and then select "Nextar GPS", I believe, from the choice of mounts.

P.

#3 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:08 PM

Peds, it sounds like we are connecting in the exact same way, but I have never updated the hand controller and I have had this mount for about 1.5 years, so that could be the problem. Do you know off hand what version you are on?

PS - I did try Nexstar GPS and got the same error.

#4 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

Thanks Peds :bow:

Your suggestion worked. My hand controller was on version 3.01 and I just updated to 3.24. Now TheSKY6 is able to control the mount with no error messages in the way.

#5 Peds

Peds

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Brasília, Brazil

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:49 PM

I'm glad it is now working for you! 3.24 is the latest version.

P.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics