Added an extension to my Skyview AZ mount

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

• Loc: Sunny California

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

Now my scopes clear. But this extremely well made 16 inch extension must weigh as much as the NP-101 mounted on the Orion. It's no longer exactly grab and go. But heck! I need a little exercise to trim off a bit of excess flab.

Attached Files

#2 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

Very nice. Makes using the mount\scope much easier. I pitched my HEAVY steel tube and made one from aluminum....still grab & go and lighter.

Attached Files

#3 Talonmane

Talonmane

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:38 AM

Cap, what's the scope? I'm curious about the weight and need for the counterweight. What sort of benefit do you think you get from using the counterweight? I use an Eon 120 on my SkyView AZ with extension and I haven't felt the need to put a counter on the opposite side, but I see yours and wonder what I'm missing? Nicer balance?

#4 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:59 AM

Cap, what's the scope? I'm curious about the weight and need for the counterweight.

Scope: 6" F8...23 lbs. VERY smooth operation!!!!

#5 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

Very nice. Makes using the mount\scope much easier. I pitched my HEAVY steel tube and made one from aluminum....still grab & go and lighter.

Very nice work. I wish I could do that. For now, I'll huff and puff and if I'm lucky, not put my back out. And maybe, just maybe I might build up some muscle on this flabby body of mine.

#6 deezdrama

deezdrama

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

very nice!- love mine as well, cant find my cameras usb or i would upload pics too-
starlighter...wheres your tripod spreader? or did it just not get put on in the pic?

#7 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:56 PM

I didn't have the spreader attached when I took the picture. I do use it when set up outside.

#8 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

Starlighter,

When you get a chance...

Could you please let me know how much the mount weighs by itself? Orion's website lists the total weight of the mount and tripod but not the specific weight of the mount.

Thanks! :bow:

#9 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

I do know the mount head feels like it weighs less than the extension. I've got them all connected so not until I separate them can I weigh the mount head separately.

#10 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

No rush. I do a lot of presentations on traveling with a scope and I always try to keep informed on the weights of the current mounts, tripods, etc.

#11 drexelpbp

drexelpbp

Ranger 4

• Loc: Phoenixville,PA

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:10 PM

Sky Captain, could you share with us how you made the aluminum extension?

#12 Starlighter

Starlighter

Aurora

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

I think I figured it out without taking my mount apart. The tripod on the Orion is identical to those used on the Meade and the Celestron EQ mounts such as what's in the Celestron Omni package. The tripod on those weighs 12 & 1/2 lbs. Orion lists the Skyview AZ weighing in at 19 & 1/2 lbs. So subtracting the tripod I get 9 lbs. for the mount head. I believe the extension weighs 12 lbs. So now my Skyview weighs in at a hefty 31 & 1/2 lbs. Not exactly what anyone would classify as grab and go. But really stable.

#13 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:31 PM

I just ordered a piece of this. Price was quite reasonable. I went for just an 8" length since I was only looking for a minor height boost originally anyway. This stuff weighs 1.8lbs per foot it says.

The ID required is closer to 3 11/16 but this should work fine with a little shimming. The original steel pipe ID is actually a little bigger than it needs to be too. Will post another message after it arrives.

Mike

#14 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:15 PM

Kerry, could you share with us how you made the aluminum extension?

I actually have 3 of them, all different sizes for different scope packages. (Sold one of them just recently)
Started life as a 5 ft. long piece of 4" diam. aluminum tube with a thick wall, 3\8th's I believe. I cut the tubes to the desired length's and put each on a lathe and turned the inside to the diameter of the original end caps that came with the extension. The fit is much better and not as loose as the steel pipe that it comes with. I also re-machined the top cap to the same O.D. as the tube for a seemless look. Had it powder coated to match, and used new stainless steel button head allen screws.

I just had the aluminum powder coated a few weeks ago, but the other one is still bare aluminum.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics