Photo

Orion's parts policy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

So I just bought a used mount from a gentlemen...a used Atlas in great shape.

I damaged a part putting the thing together, emailed Orion, and they came back telling me they will NOT sell me any parts because I'm not the original owner...period. Why does it matter who is the owner, it's a part for an expensive item which would cost the same for the original owner or a new owner (if out of warranty of course).

Luckily, the part isn't critical but if it was and yes, it was my fault, but I would be out $900 because of that policy...wow...pretty awful.

I guess I should have known this policy beforehand and really wont ever buy another Orion product again unless this is standard practice..and if so, I wont ever buy used again, even though I love buying used stuff.

#2 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:11 AM

That Atlas (EQ6) is sold by other companies, notably Sky-Watcher, which is the direct outlet of the manufacturer. You might try to get the part through them.

#3 bdjeep

bdjeep

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

Wow, that is very disappointing. I have to say I'm very surprised with what I've been hearing about Orion lately. That policy simply makes no sense at all. :confused: :confused:

Are you still in touch with the original owner? Do you think you could get him/her to order the part for you? Maybe one of the friendly folks here on CN could also order it for you.

How do they know who the original owner is anyway? What if you purchased it a long time ago and lost the receipt?

#4 Telescopeman54

Telescopeman54

Vendor - Trapezium Telescopes & Services, LLC.

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

What part did you bugger up?

I may be able to duplicate it for you.

Steve

#5 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:48 AM

So I just bought a used mount from a gentlemen...a used Atlas in great shape.

I damaged a part putting the thing together, emailed Orion, and they came back telling me they will NOT sell me any parts because I'm not the original owner...period. Why does it matter who is the owner, it's a part for an expensive item which would cost the same for the original owner or a new owner (if out of warranty of course).

Luckily, the part isn't critical but if it was and yes, it was my fault, but I would be out $900 because of that policy...wow...pretty awful.

I guess I should have known this policy beforehand and really wont ever buy another Orion product again unless this is standard practice..and if so, I wont ever buy used again, even though I love buying used stuff.

I'm sure the phone rep was confused. Maybe you should call back and ask to speak to someone in "Parts". Or a sales manager.
I can't see them having an actual policy like that. Maybe they were confusing parts sales with their warranty policy. :question:

#6 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

"Dear James:

Thank you for contacting Orion.

We understand that situations may arise where the purchase of a part may be necessary. Due to the vast array of small component and machined parts that make up our product line it is neither practical or profitable to maintain a
complete inventory of spare parts for individual retail sale. We are committed to providing the highest level of support possible to our customer base and will attempt to accommodate any request we can. Proof of purchase
is required for the product for which the part is requested from Orion directly, or an Authorized Orion Dealer. Third party purchases are not supported.

We apologize for any disappointment that may be caused.

Clear skies and good observing,
Rich N., Orion Tech Support"

The guy I bought it from did find the part number and is willing to order it for me but I really don't want to bother someone I bought something from like that. I will call Skywatcher and see what they say.

#7 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

This is surprising to me. You would think in the midst of a major recession companies would do anything in their power to provide good customer service. I guess not. Like I said, this is a surprise. I'd always heard good things about Orion. Good to know, though.

#8 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

That seems like an odd policy. I guess they figure no one will ever sell their stuff used.

#9 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:10 PM

That seems like an odd policy. I guess they figure no one will ever sell their stuff used.

I dunno. They aren't a manufacturer, so any parts they have on hand were acquired specifically to support sales and represent a cost center rather than a profit center.

#10 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

I dunno. They aren't a manufacturer, so any parts they have on hand were acquired specifically to support sales and represent a cost center rather than a profit center.

I suppose so. However, now that I know about this policy I would be very reluctant to purchase products from Orion in the future. If I ever wanted to sell something purchased from Orion - like a mount - I could have a tough time if the buyer knew that he/she couldn't purchase parts if he/she had a problem with what I sold. I would feel obligated to let them know - only fair and honest...

#11 jayfish

jayfish

Explorer 1

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

Seems to me that they should direct inquiries to the mfg. rather than just saying "tough luck". Also, is there no accounting for customer satisfaction/retention?

Jay

#12 Old Dinosaur

Old Dinosaur

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

Orion isn't the only one doing that. And going to the manufacturer usually isn't an option since they're usually a part of yet another complicated source of parts and pieces.

There's a lot of stuff sold these days that you can plain forget about ever finding parts for. Only option often is finding another and salvaging parts.

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

"Dear James:

Proof of purchase
is required for the product for which the part is requested from Orion directly, or an Authorized Orion Dealer. Third party purchases are not supported.

Penny-wise and pound foolish...like many companies today. They could have guaranteed themselves future sales, but, instead, turned away business now and in the future (were it me). I swanee, seems like some business folks just have a DEATH wish...

The vendors who survive and thrive are those who say "What can we do for you?" not those whose attitude is "We don't want you."

:shrug:

#14 kohudson

kohudson

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

The vendors who survive and thrive are those who say "What can we do for you?" not those whose attitude is "We don't want you." :shrug:

I totally agree - and with sites like Cloudy Nights it's very easy to tell the difference!

#15 Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

I can imagine what would happen if they sold parts at an economic coast - "They charged me $25 for a screw, I could go to the hardware store and buy a box of 100 for less than that".

It's simpler not to do it, especially when times are hard and you have fired everyone who isn't absolutely essential.

In the long term it may be a bad idea but unfortunately you can't measure the effect of the loss of loyalty and it's very easy for managers to assume that "I don't know" is the same as "nothing".

Chris

#16 Dbussey

Dbussey

Lift Off

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

The other side of the coin is this: Needed a cable (Possible unique wiring scheme) Talked with Doug at Shoestring Astronomy on phone and e-mail and he voluntarily ended up sending me 2 cables with a note "when you find the one that works just send the other cable back....." Now that is sevice way above the norm..........

#17 Pedestal

Pedestal

Skylab

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

It's probably a warehousing cost issue. Cheaper just to not do it.

#18 chupacabra

chupacabra

Vostok 1

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:25 PM

I sparked my motor control circuit boards on one of my Orion mounts by shorting out my power supply. It was out of warranty. I tried everything I could to get them to sell me the circuit boards. I don't agree with their policy, but I understand it.

BUT . . . I sent the mount in for repair. I didn't like the wasted shipping, but the mount came back repaired and at a reasonable cost. I didn't have to include any purchase info, it wasn't under warranty. I was going to pay for the repair, that's all they cared about.

Tell them you need your mount repaired and ship it to them. I could be wrong, but I think you got some bad info from their customer service department. It seems like they are mis-applying some other policy here. Part of that language seems copy/pasted from some warranty policy email. To me, your situation sounds a lot like my situation and I think you can get it fixed.

Good luck!

#19 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

something like that happened with my Antares 6" refractor, the model before the sliding decap. Its the lens cell that hold the front lens in place where the push/pull collimation screws are. There was a small crack from where one of the collimation screws are again its was not the lens itself but the lens cell that holds the lens.

Anyway the crack was not that big maybe 1.5" long. I called antares taked to Glen (the owner) & he sent me a whole new lens cell (its plastic maybe thats why it cracked)free no charge at all. I keep the original one untill the crack becomes a problem only them will i switch it to the new lens cell.

I think thats great for companies to do severice they could have charged me for that part but to br honest i did not even know it was there & when it got there however they sent me one anyway.

Again thankls Antares & that why i buy a lot of their products as per my info line.

Joe

#20 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

Add Binoculars.com to the list of companies willing to help out the customer. I needed a locking collar for an Oberwerk tripod, so I called them to see if they stocked one. The person I talked to said they normally didn't stock extra collars, but he was sure he could find one and get it to me. Cost was a whole eight bucks! Almost cost as much to ship it!

John

#21 drexelpbp

drexelpbp

Ranger 4

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:19 PM

Wow - I've bought a lot of Orion products both new and used, but after learning about this policy I won't buy anymore!

#22 johnfdean

johnfdean

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

I had Orion be "unable to help' on a mount they sold me in th 80'. I found the part on their website. I have a hunch the problem with more with the person I was speaking to than Orion. I have some 40 employees, and I am often amazed that the words that come out of their mouths.

#23 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 28 May 2009 - 01:34 AM

Orion does not sell parts to anyone that is not the original owner. This means that if you buy a used item, be prepared to ship it to Orion for any and all repairs.
Blueman

#24 Parkit

Parkit

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:38 PM

Wow, that is pretty surprising. Their poor customer support combined with their extra-hefty shipping charges is making for an equally poor company reputation.

#25 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Wow, that is pretty surprising. Their poor customer support combined with their extra-hefty shipping charges is making for an equally poor company reputation.

I don't believe that you'll find much support for that statement. Their customer service is generally considered to be among the best in the trade. Some folks do complain about their shipping charges.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics