Photo

I may get strung up for this one but....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 slitherjef

slitherjef

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Denver CO

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:10 AM

Hey all, its been a while, huh? :)

Well, I got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is I still don't have a new mount, due to well, the weather and light pollution and lack of funds.

The good news however is I found dark skies! About 90 min from my house and I also joined the DAS. I still do have my XT10 and that should keep my plenty busy under dark skies, I still have the astrophotography bug big time, and I have almost everything I need, besides the mount.

The issue is really trying to justify dumping around 1500-plus on a mount with the weather the way it has been and dark sky trips are few and far between. I often wonder if an Atlas will just sit in the corner for months at a time. That and the economy is still a bit in a slump. The bottom line right now is I have Astrophysics taste with a LXD75 budget.

I know for a fact the LXD75 is not going to give me everything. I don't need to be shooting at 2000+ focal length, I am looking to do widefield piggybacking mostly.

How much would I be loading up on the mount?
- A celestron 80ed refractor
- autoguider (guiding through the 80ed)
- Modded 20D with upto a 70-200mm f/4L lens
- maybe 5 min exposures (no more then 10min probably)

I know an atlas will be better, but seriously 1500 bucks for something that may get little use? I can't really justify that right now. I wish I could, but what I can do is get something I can use that is half the price and save for the Atlas or maybe something bigger. If nothing else, I can sell the LXD75 later on

I now I am probably going to get strung up for this, but it has been so long since I have done astrophotography and I have cameras, autoguiders and computers laying around collecting dust and I am tired of missing a chance at doing something with the option pops up to do so.

Dang lowsy economy... not to mention, the weather

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:39 AM

How much would I be loading up on the mount?
- A celestron 80ed refractor
- autoguider (guiding through the 80ed)
- Modded 20D with upto a 70-200mm f/4L lens
- maybe 5 min exposures (no more then 10min probably)

I know an atlas will be better, but seriously 1500 bucks for something that may get little use? I can't really justify that right now. I wish I could, but what I can do is get something I can use that is half the price and save for the Atlas or maybe something bigger. If nothing else, I can sell the LXD75 later on

I now I am probably going to get strung up for this, but it has been so long since I have done astrophotography and I have cameras, autoguiders and computers laying around collecting dust and I am tired of missing a chance at doing something with the option pops up to do so.

The LXD 75 can be OK and would be fine if you keep it at piggybacking (I still prefer the Celestron CG5, however), but I would STRONGLY advise you to search for a used Atlas/EQ6 or a Celestron CGEM or get the somewhat less expensive Sirius (HEQ5) or look for one of those used.

Otherwise, the usual story is, no matter how much/how little you use it you'll be sorry you got the 75 instead of the Atlas. That alone should be "justification" (life is too short for me to worry about justifying the things I want to myself :lol: ) enough to get the Atlas instead. Buying twice instead of once is no way to save money. ;)

One money saving tactic is to buy an Atlas without the go-to. It is still a go-to mount, and will work as one with the addition of a computer and the freeware program EQMOD. In fact, that works better than the "real" HC.

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:50 AM

Heavier duty mounts are alway better for observing or AP but less good for portability/set-up. I had a G11 for 10+ years but downsized to a CG5ASGT for my present 15 lb OTAs and am quite satisfied with it. It's easy to transport attached to its tripod. The whole thing including counterweight and accessories fit in this $25 bag.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics