Photo

Berlebach tripods

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jaime Riviere

Jaime Riviere

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

Good skyes everybody!!

Does somebody has information on the Berlebach tripods? They seem inexpensive to me.

Thanks in advance!!

#2 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:27 PM

Jaime, what do you want to know exactly? The Berlebach site has lots of good information here. Their astro series in particular are very high quality. From my perspective here in the USA, I wouldn't have referred to them as "inexpensive" but maybe your pricing in Europe is a good deal less?

I highly recommend them.

Doug

#3 Jaime Riviere

Jaime Riviere

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:35 AM

Thanks for the response Doug!! I see now that my question was a little inespecific.

In the painful process of adjusting a telescope setup to the budget, I found that any item from american manufacture or distribution is really expensive in Europe. There are two kinds of cases: those in wich the american price in dollars is translated into the same price in Euros (For example, the scope I'm pondering, a TV 102) and those that, due to a smaller distribution, are HIGHER that the price in dollars (for example a Losmandy GM8 mount: $1492 from Losmandy (1075€), 1667€ from a known -and usually cheap- spanish dstributor ($2313). This forces to look for better alternatives for the items in wich the guarantee is less of a key factor. I mean: with these prices I can take a plane and buy a telescope in NY, but the guarentee of the optics will be void because I didn't bought it from the spanish distributor.

One of the ways to overcome this is to look for alternatives for the less essential pieces of the equipment. By "less essential" a mean items that can be found produced in Europe and without the import overcosts. The tripod is one of these.

Sorry for the long preamble: with these ideas in mind I was looking for a tripod that I could use with diferent mount heads, in use to lower the general costs of the equipment. For example, I can use one of those good-looking Berlebach tripods both with a tele-pod head (around 250€) and later with a GM-8 head. The only question is if they are equivalent to the original tripods. Some of the Berlebach models are in the order of 500€, others can be found by around 200€. IF the later is really an alternatve to the Gibraltar tripod it is really a good idea. But I can not find the load capacity of the original TV tripods.

/Jaime

#4 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

IF the later is really an alternatve to the Gibraltar tripod it is really a good idea. But I can not find the load capacity of the original TV tripods.

/Jaime

Hi Jaime,

I'm not familiar with the full line of Berlebach tripods but have owned a UNI-24, which is part of their Astro line. I have also owned a Gibralatar tripod. All I can tell you with respect to this tripod and the Gibraltar is that the UNI-24 is a superior tripod. The Gibraltar tripod is, of course, very nicely made but the Berlebach is simply better is terms of design and performance (i.e., rigidity, stability, damping). In fairness though, I think you might have to compare the Gibraltar tripod to a different Berlebach model that is not as heavy duty - my guess is that the rated capacities are quite different.

In terms of actual specifications, I believe that the TV wood tripods are made by KB Sytems and there might be some more detailed information here.

#5 Jaime Riviere

Jaime Riviere

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

wow!! That's exactly the information!!

The prices in the KB site are much lower ;)

Thank you very much :jump:

/Jaime

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics