• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 pollux

pollux

artiste

• Loc: Burnaby Canada

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:41 AM

And no, I'm not a gear junkie. :question:

That's one of the biggest lies I have ever heard since I joined CN :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

#27 bcuddihee

bcuddihee

Vanguard

• Loc: Cincinnati Ohio

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:52 AM

Any mount named after two hot 60's cars has got to be great!!
Vrooooom!!
bc

#28 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:20 PM

...They were each the best for what I wanted at the time. And no, I'm not a gear junkie. :question:

:iwhat:

:rofl2:

:smirk:

Luke - you will NEVER live this one down, buddy...

#29 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Good question. I think that there's a different answer depending on whether or not you plan on imaging with the mount.

If the mount is for purely visual use you can, in my opinion, economize and enjoy all but the aesthetic benefits of an expensive premium mount. I recommend over-mounting, meaning using a mount that is rated at about 2x to 3x the capacity of your intended payload.

The best mounts I've found for visual use are the Celestron CGEM and CGE, and the Orion Atlas. Simple, affordable, easy to use, and for an 18# to 20# payload the CGEM and Atlas are rock solid. For a 30#+ payload (up to about 40#)I prefer the CGE.

For imaging, I really like the Astro-Physics mounts. The Mach 1 GTO has better than an Atlas/CGEM capacity and tracks to near-perfection right out of the box. The A-P 900 surpasses the CGE (and Losmany G-11) much as the Mach 1 GTO surpasses the Atlas/CGEM. The A-P 1200, for me, would be the ultimate semi-portable EQ mount, but I have to admit that the CGE is about as much mount mass as I would ever like to haul on a regular basis.

Regards,

Jim

#30 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

Without telling us what you are trying to mount and what you want to do with it, the question is really vague.

I recently upgraded my old C8 with a CG5 GOTO mount. It is the best one! Damping time is extremely short (never a problem) and the mount and scope is rock solid.

However, I only have the C8 on it, with a small 9X50 finder scope, am visual only, and don't use really heavy eyepieces.

The mount gets some knocks from reviewers for noise (I don't care!), but is cheap; you can get it for less than $600.

However, go with a heavier OTA, hang some extra telescopes on your main OTA, use heavy eyepieces, try big-time photography, and you really should use something else.

Whatta ya wanna do wid it?

Arizona Ken

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics