CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Crater Janssen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

Janssen is a very old crater form the pre Nectarian period. It is very battered from many younger craters. It's outline is only visible close to the terminator - like this evening.
In the monthes May and June the young moon can be observed in a very good position: High in the evening sky.

Jannsen showed lots of details. I tried to sketch as many as possibe in ~20 minutes. Some of the subtle detailed I failed sketching - shadows were moving to fast.

(120/600 refractor-112x)

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:01 PM

Uwe,

Getting the features on paper fast is the make or break step of a sketch near the terminator. It's like a game of beat the clock. I have sketches with impossible shadows because I took too long.
Your sketch here is excellent for a 20 minute sketch. Thank you for sharing it with us all. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

Uwe,

An excellent observation of Janssen showing a good amount of detail. Janssen is a complex crater and would be difficult to render in 20 minute but you have done a very good job. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

Alright Uwe! :jump: A wonderful sketch capturing so much of the detail in this complex crater. I love the way you dealt with the shadows. I was out observing Janssen the same night and your rendition is marvelous! :waytogo:

#5 Sol

Sol

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

A good sketch of that complex area Uwe, your technique has moved on a lot since you were posting in the solar forum.

Mark

#6 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

that is a lot of work for 20 minutes. nice sketching. you could try some quick work with a blending stump or stick...I have tried that when I am in a hurry at the end of a sketch. It seems to help bring out a little more without much time added. Roland

#7 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:45 AM

I have used the belnding stump ... if the areas were smooth. In structured I left the paper structure.

#8 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:52 AM

Lovely fresh look to your drawing, very clear .

Dee

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics