Photo

Televue Panoramic / Gibraltar Mount Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 wyundiv

wyundiv

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hi All,

I have what may be a slightly simplistic question. I currently have a Gibraltar mount and very much like the way the mount works. I have been thinking about getting a small travel telescope and possibly a smaller Televue mount (like the Panoramic) to bring with me on vacation.

My question concerns the less costly alternatives to Televue telescopes, namely doublet APO's in the range of 80 to 100mm from Orion (preferably), William Optics, or Astro-Tech. Is there a way that I can mate these telescopes, either with their L-adapters or their mounting rings and dovetail plates, to the bottom of a Panoramic or Gibraltar mount?

I am a fairly experienced amateur, but have not purchased a mount in a long time, and have never purchased one without a telescope from the same company, so I am a bit of a neophyte when it comes to dovetail plates, mounting plates, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Walter

#2 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

I've attached a orion/vixen dovetail to a Telepod cradle for a 12OST by using the existing 1/4" threaded hole in the dovetail bar and drilling another hole in the same dovetail bar to go through the other hole in the Telepod cradle.

Possible to use a ScopeStuff dovertail shoe if large M8 threaded retainer knob is replaced with something smaller such as a short M8 hex head screw in order to fit/function inside the 5.25" space.

Attached Files

#3 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:28 AM

Just for the heck of it, I mounted the Scopestuff dovetail shoe to my Telepod using the center 1/4" threaded hole of the shoe and 1/4" wing bolt. Also utilized a 1"-M8 bolt which would function (with a wrench) in holding the dovetail bar in place. M8 hex bolt may work better, but you get the picture. ;)

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics