Photo

First post to sketching forum: M3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've been browsing this Sketching forum for a while, reading the tutorials and practising sketching at my scope. This is a great forum and I wanted to say thank you to everyone who posts here. I've learned so much from all of you that it's amazing. Thank you all. :bow:

I have a Zhumell Z12 and I observe from moderately heavy light pollution. My limiting magnitude is about 4.5 at zenith typically, and degrades toward the horizon. I made this sketch a few nights ago of M3. This is not my first sketch, but it is my first sketch of a globular cluster. (If I can get on the scanner, I'll make a post my first sketch, but it isn't going to be pretty. :shocked:) I found "Globular Cluster Sketching Tutorial" by Eric Graff immensely helpful. Thank you Eric. :bow:

I've thought about sketching M3 a number of times, but every time I got it in the eye piece I think to myself, "Forget it. There's just too many stars." Last week we had such a clear night and M3 looked so bright and steady, I went for it.

Here's an inverted scan-in of my sketch. The only processing I've done to it is to mask off the FOV circle.

Posted Image

I discovered Paint.NET and went back over the scan-in to clean it up a bit and get the background unresolved haze of stars to come out. I remembered the haze in toward the core of this cluster looked like it had cracks or breaks running through it and I tried to capture that in the rendering.

Here's the cleaned-up version.

Posted Image

In a way, it's almost like the cleaned-up version is too clean. But on the other hand, it is more accurate to what I saw in the eye piece (except maybe brighter).

Any tips or suggestions?

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:50 AM

Welcome to the sketching forum.
It certainly looks like you know what you are doing. Eric by the way is an expert deep sky sketcher. He will likely chime in here. I think your sketch is just great. :cool:

Frank :)

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

Welcome to the Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum. You have produced an excellent first sketch of a globular cluster, M3. The central grouping of stars with dark rifts between with stars "exploding" outwards is the impression of the majority of globular clusters. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:44 AM

I really like that you posted both sketches and showed how you cleaned that up and made it more like what you saw. For me that is the key, I'm always trying to improve the sketching to reflect what I see. Your capture of M3 for a first attempt far surpassed my first attempt at a globular. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more of your sketches.

#5 Tom Machtemes

Tom Machtemes

Vostok 1

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hi,

That's some nice sketches, keep them comming.

:thanx:

Tom

#6 cildarith

cildarith

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:05 AM

Welcome to the sketching forum! Your sketch of M3 is just superb. Thanks for sharing it with us!

I am also gratified you found my tutorial useful. Thanks for the feedback! :)

#7 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

Well, alright then :) ... I'll post up some more when I get a chance. Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome and encouragement!

Just for giggles, I put up my first sketch from last summer on Post your very first sketch over here! :lol:

I have some galaxy sketches, but due to my light pollution, they're not much to look at except for gray smudges and some white dots. But, I'll post 'em when I get a chance.

I'd really like to try my hand at lunar sketching as soon as I get a clear night again. :)

#8 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

I have some galaxy sketches, but due to my light pollution, they're not much to look at except for gray smudges and some white dots.

What else could they possibly be? Gray smudges and black dots?

This is a great sketch you did. It seems to have depth, almost like looking through binoculars at an open cluster.

#9 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:17 PM

What else could they possibly be? Gray smudges and black dots?

:lol: I tell you what, I see lots of gray smudges against a gray background sky half the time around here! (In otherwords, nothing. :p) I'd love to see a little bit of spiral structure or something one of these days, but I don't think that will ever happen from my backyard - I'll have to travel to a dark site for that to happen.

This is a great sketch you did. It seems to have depth, almost like looking through binoculars at an open cluster.

Thank you. :) I'll post more soon...

#10 JanisR

JanisR

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

M3 was one of the first globulars I sketched, and your sketch is really quite lovely. A nice start, keep 'em coming.

#11 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Welcome to the Sketching Forum Slartibartfast! :D Excellent first go at a Globular, looking forward to seeing more of your great sketches! :waytogo:

#12 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

Wonderful set of sketches, welcome aboard. I don't have much to add to other's comments, the work is truly wonderful.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics