Photo

Show me your sketch of Galilaei?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

I thought I'd start up a new one of those Monthly work projects I started several months ago, this time in Honors of Father's Day I decided to choose the Lunar Crater Galilaei and the Oceanus Procellarum area.

Hopefully this target will let those with Binoculars have a chance to participate (and heck, the Oceanus Procellarum area is large enough you could probably do some sketching naked eye, probably wouldn't get Galilaei though).

Of course, I don't have a sketch yet, but I'm itching to get back out in the field, but I've been fogged in (both at work and at home), so this gives me a target to go after. Since the best viewing is a few days ahead I thought I'd get this posted early and generate some interest.

So what do you think, is this a reasonable target for a wide sketching audience?? And are you in? Weather Permitting of course.

#2 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Jim,

Galilaei is a pretty small feature at only 15 km. Definitely not a good target for those with binoculars. Even with a good sized scope it would be a challenge to sketch much detail in this one. How about Copernicus or Kepler? Just my two cents worth.

#3 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

Jim,

Galilaei is a pretty small feature at only 15 km. Definitely not a good target for those with binoculars. Even with a good sized scope it would be a challenge to sketch much detail in this one. How about Copernicus or Kepler? Just my two cents worth.

You are probably right that this target is a bit small for binoculars. I haven't observed that section of the moon in quite some time, I thought including a larger swath (Oceanus Procellarum) might be more interesting for those with binoculars (rays and possibly some rilles might be visible with binocs?), but I'm definitely up for changing targets if this one is too discouraging or uninteresting?

The main reason I chose Galilaei was because of the "Father's Day" homage I was after. Though I bet many of the other craters would fit that homage just as well... :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics