9 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

Posted Image

I have missed many good nights in the past week, so as the weather was a clear and balmy 65 F at 9:30 PM I decided to observe through my 10.1” f/4.5 Dobsonian. The moon was spectacular as seeing was estimated at a near 9~10/10. Seeing degraded toward the midnight hours (4 UT ~ 7 UT) so I took several reference photos to inspire the lower lunar landscape. I suppose one could imagine standing at Herschel looking north to its environs.

I noticed immediately the crater at the terminator just below Mare Imbrium at low power that was just showing light in its rim, jutting into the darkness. How could anyone miss it? When I set up my smaller Nexstar 5i at a public restaurant a few nights ago, someone new to observing will ask, why does that light at the darkness break apart and fade there? as they may not understand the terminator or lunar phases. It is tough to get anyone in a public place to watch the terminator for an hour or two to witness it changing.

Still being new to extensive observing of the moon, I checked my charts to see that it was Herschel; I decided to sketch this as it changed dramatically over three hours. It appeared as a kings crown of jewels in the darkness as it filled with light over three hours. I used a past theme that seems to entertain both the artist and observers of the art. I floated quick line sketches of features around a total lunar sphere observed at low magnification of the terminator and so as to not seem to only expound on only the terminator, I included Mare Crisium as a mid surface area feature to the left with the white flared rays of Proclus to surround the total sphere of the moon. Do I have that crater name right? I am sure someone will let me know. The floating crater sketches at right are not to scale but rather just quick random impressions from the central terminator.

In rendering a rough terminator at Herschel, I included its other environs but not sure from my charts; Is it Babbage and Pythagoras to the north or Carpenter and Anaximenes (below Herschel in my sketch) ?

Strathmore 19” X 25” Artagain paper with various dry pastel chalks.

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Sketch Gallery

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Mark,

An outstanding set of observations of the Waxing Quarter Moon and detailed sections of the surface. The impression of Herschel is fantastic. The lunar phases are not as easy to understand for the public, as it is for us all. Thank you for sharing these observations with us all.

Carlos

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:13 PM

Mark,

Stunningly beautiful as always. Now I don't need to use my imagination to see out across crater Herschel and I have you to thank for that. :bow: :cool: :bow:

Frank :)

#4 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:58 PM

Enjoyed the sketches. Roland

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:07 AM

Thank you Carlos, Frank and Roland

I grappled with this one. I am making efforts to change the theme, so with fatigue, accidentally I repeated a variation of a previous theme perhaps too close. When Jeff asked the other day about taking breaks; it is not like that for me. It is like running a three hour marathon when I do these sketches. Sometimes I cannot produce another one until I rest for days.

I am contemplating the bigger vs. the smaller picture. So I did not get the details as well as I had intended. It is really more so several rough impressions in one. I feel that I am spreading myself thin on too many perspectives in too short a time in one work. Hence Jeff's question the other day about a time limit. I had intended a larger scale of the Herschel crater detail. Now I'll have to wait another month for that same light. Maybe practice on other images in the mean time.

Maybe tonight is something interesting again at the terminator with a symmetrical half phase?

I welcome any suggestions, comments, questions, criticisms,

Thanks again,

Mark

#6 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:10 AM

Mark,

Beautiful as always. I love the details and in terms of one of your questions, from the bastion of intellectual knowledge known as Wikipedia:

"crater Herschel is located just to the north of the walled plain Ptolemaeus. Just to the north is the flooded crater Spörer, and due east lies the disintegrated crater Gyldén. About a crater diameter to the northwest is the walled plain Flammarion, along the southern edge of the Sinus Medii."

Again, wonderful sketch.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

Jay

Thank you for kind words and yes; if I hadn't mentioned it, I began these themes of a visualized lunar landscape in the foreground sketches recently by researching as many websites; ie. NASA, Apollo fly-over, many other close-up photography images. Each crater is difficult to find a Web image of that specific light on a waxing or waning phase of the lunar day. If someone knows of other detailed images that I am missing on the web, please inform me.

I really do the 'moon-scapes' at the bottom from quick imagination and sometimes I think they are a little too minimal in image. I hope that they are inspiring others to sketch from the real time image in the eyepiece. If these sketches just get anyone to pick up a chalk stick and scratch the paper, that would be great too! :cool: I think I did see the Wikipedia text but I believe I missed the details. Now you having me wanting to research more to improve on my imaginary lunar landscape images.

Thanks for sending that description from Wikipedia.

Mark

PS: There is another large lunar landscape you might enjoy although my sense of humor prevails more there. I placed it into the Art Forum a few days ago (It also makes some political and sociological statements with puns intended about art.) Friends say that I am too serious, but I do really have a sense of humor . . . I think? >

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

[edited for spelling correction only - June 2 '09 - Mark]

#8 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

Mark

Its absolutely beautiful!! :jawdrop:

#9 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:19 PM

Mark, your work is stunning and powerful! :bow: :rainbow: :bow: Your excitement with lunar sketching is palpable, almost tangible in each drawing you post. Try not to worry much about the gaps between your posts. I feel very much the way you do about the energy required to produce a good sketch. Often I am exhausted after the particularly demanding ones, so much so that I need a rest too. The other aspect is the time required to write a reasonably coherent narrative to match the sketch. I love doing the research, but it is time consuming and it often takes several days to bring it all together. I guess that's why I find it so rewarding when folks respond to both the commentary as well as the sketch. Mark, I'm so pleased to see you successfully handling both tasks. And even more so when you do it with such overt enthusiasm and artistry. :waytogo:

#10 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:06 AM

Thanks Jim and Rich

I would like to do more serious works with technical accuracy. Rich- those comments coming from you are a great honor to me. I hope to gain the quality of the close-up masterpiece works that you have rendered here for some time.
It was finding your lunar sketch work here accidentally in CN not quite a year ago that really inspired me about sketching the moon.

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics