CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

G11 Dec. Clutch Knob Problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 lowdog

lowdog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

Tonight I was setting up for imaging session and when it came time to balance I could not loosen the dec. clutch knob. The dec. shaft will move when I try to loosen the knob but not freely enough for balancing. The knob is locked tight. Have any other G11 owners had a similar problem. Please let me know.

Jeff

#2 revans

revans

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:23 PM

Why not cover a pipe wrench with a towel so as not to leave any marks behind, and force it loose? You could also use some WD40 spray sparingly and see what happens after a couple of hours...

Just my 2 cents... I just got my G11 a couple of days ago, so I'm not particular expert on this mount...

Rick Evans

#3 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

Tonight I was setting up for imaging session and when it came time to balance I could not loosen the dec. clutch knob. The dec. shaft will move when I try to loosen the knob but not freely enough for balancing. The knob is locked tight. Have any other G11 owners had a similar problem. Please let me know.

Jeff

I've not seen this. Do you have the upgrade clutch knobs?

#4 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Moderators

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

Why not cover a pipe wrench with a towel so as not to leave any marks behind, and force it loose?

NO! Do not use a pipe wrench. Even with a towel it will mar the surface. If you must, try a strap wrench.

#5 lowdog

lowdog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:53 PM

Yes, I have the upgrade knob on both axis so I try not to tighten them to much.

#6 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

Agreed, a pipe wrench is not the answer.
Have you grabbed the top saddle and tried to turn the knob?
Blueman

#7 lowdog

lowdog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:57 PM

I was finally able to loosen the knob today by tapping on one of the knob spokes with a rubber mallet. I don't know how it got so tight because I only hand tighten them. I store it in a square plastic tub on top 4 inches of foam padding. It lays on its side so maybe their was to much pressure on a spoke causing it to over tighten. Thanks to all who replied.

Jeff

#8 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

Probably the temp difference between when you tightened it and tried to loosen it?
Blueman

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics