• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gustave

gustave

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vero Beach, FL

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

I have a Televue 101 Genesis 500mm refractor purchased way back in 1992. It came with a eq mount and tripod. I would like to convert over to an az mount. The TV folks tell me that this can't be done using the original tripod. I spoke to a supplier who indicated that the WO "Easy Touch" mount would work with the original tripod. The hub has an opening of 8mm or 3 and 1/8 inch diameter. They claimed this is standard so there should be no problem fitting the Easy Touch on to the tripod. Can anyone confirm or disagree with this claim? :Thanks

#2 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:50 PM

I have a Televue 101 Genesis 500mm refractor purchased way back in 1992. It came with a eq mount and tripod. I would like to convert over to an az mount. The TV folks tell me that this can't be done using the original tripod. I spoke to a supplier who indicated that the WO "Easy Touch" mount would work with the original tripod. The hub has an opening of 8mm or 3 and 1/8 inch diameter. They claimed this is standard so there should be no problem fitting the Easy Touch on to the tripod. Can anyone confirm or disagree with this claim? :Thanks

The WO EZTouch base accepts a 10mm metric bolt. You can remove the base to uncover a standard tripod thread, which is 3/8" x 16 TPI as I recall. So if the current tripod will allow the 3/8" bolt to pass through, and has a flat base top support the EZ Touch, then it should work.

The EZ Touch head comes with a "Vixen-compatible" dovetail on one side of the "T", and the other side is tapped to accept a second saddle or a counterweight. You can get either a saddle for a second Vixen-style dovetail or a Losmandy "D" saddle for the tapped side. You will need a compatible dovetail and some way to attach the dovetail to the telescope tube such as rings or a clamshell. Televue sells a TV clamshell to Vixen dovetail adapter kit for their current clamshells but I don't know if it will fit your particular scope. Also, the WO saddle "Vixen-style" included with the EZTouch won't accept a true Vixen brand dovetail due to the safety stops cast into the Vixen plate (also true of the Celestron and Meade cast plates). So be sure you get a dovetail bar that is just a plain straight dovetail so it will slide into the WO saddle if you want to use that saddle.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics