Photo

Copernicus unfinished

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

Copernicus unfinished.
June 2nd 2009
20:45 UT - 22:10 UT Seeing 2
Meade LX 90
Meade 15mm Plossl - 133X

Pastel and Conte on Strathmore Artagain paper.

I had been solar observing and drawing all day but Copernicus really looked so good I had to
have a go. Got a bit tired toward 11pm local time so stopped drawing.
I have a tendency to wander into surrounding areas a habit that is difficult
to break. One to capture another time, so nice to draw in the heat of an
evening more comfy than the middle of winter.

Dee

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

Dee,

Beautiful and powerful drawing of mighty Copernicus. Perfect tones for rendering the lunar surface. It is always a treat to see your sketches here. Hope your nights stay warm and clear. :bow: :rainbow: :flower: :refractor:

Frank :)

#3 kraterkid

kraterkid

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

Dee,

An awesome sketch of Copernicus and environs! :flower: :jump: :flower: Beautiful gray tones as Frank mentioned. Lovely rays and fantastic shading in the Carpatus mountains.

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

Dee

This is a beautiful work of art. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: It is fresh and unpretentious. You exhibit a great painterly style .

Ironic I see this today as I rendered several surface features last night, one being Copernicus, the first time for me. I focused on the crater walls and rim but never got to the rays.

You could finish yours but I think it is a beautiful masterpiece as is.

Mark

#5 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

Dee,

Sorry to read that you could not finish (yet), but I think that it is an awesome piece of art.
Well done. :D

#6 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:48 AM

The way I see astronomical drawing is this, if I do not finish the sketch at the eyepiece it never gets finished at all.

In my opinion astronomical sketching is about learning.
Learning about the features you are drawing and learning how to go about it in the best possible manner with the most suitable materials.

Finishing a astronomical sketch later , inside would mean nothing to me. I feel it is important to take in what you can at the eyepiece. If a sketch does not get finished for whatever reason , you have at least learned something to bring to the effort the next time.

If you finish it later with photographs et cetra what use is that ?

The object you observe be it the moon or some other wonder forges a connection with your eye to the page.
Different lighting , seeing conditions et cetra bring changing challenges to spice up the interest.

My sketch of Copernicus is unfinished as I did not get to grips with the crater walls in a way that I would have liked.
I began to get a handle on doing the mare floor so what I learned about doing that will follow through to the next sketch.

The view was expansive so I tended to try to take in the whole area that takes away from just doing Copernicus by itself.

So that is my pennies worth on sketching at the moment

Dee

#7 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:49 PM

Dee, I was not thinking about finishing inside, but at the eyepiece. But it occurred to me afterwards that you can indeed not continue your sketch. Here is a difference with a deep-sky sketch. A deep-sky sketch can be made on consecutive nights of observing, because the target does not alter. You could wait for the next lunation, but the libration of the moon will change the scene too much.

#8 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

great sketch looks like an unfocused view of copernicus, thanks for posting.

#9 Dee

Dee

Viking 1

Posted 05 June 2009 - 04:55 AM

Yes Rony , each moon sketch is really a once off , one shot effort ,never ever to be repeated with exactly the same lighting , seeing conditions , personal focus, mood , energy , all combining to make the sketch. So for me it is important to learn something about the moon and something about drawing each time.
Thanks Tommy as well.
Dee

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:46 AM

Dee,

An excellent observation of Copernicus even if unfinished. You have captured the main sections of the crater and surrounding region very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics