Photo

CG-5 Go To problem !Help!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

I have a Celestron CG-5 Go To, I believe its a 2002 model so its a bit old.

The mount started giving me problems several months ago, sence then the motor boards have been replaced and its pretty much a new mount!

Well I tested it out tonight and theres another glitch. The mount will randomly and without warning dew a fast high pitched slew for aabout a second or two, knocking the mount off alignment. I dont know what to do anymore with it, Ive had it refirbished and its still gives me problems all I want to do is get rid of it!

Help!

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

Since it's either been shipped or you've been inside the mount (replacing the MCBs) I'd bet you've got a loose or intermittent connection somewhere. If you haven't been inside the mount it might be time to get your hands dirty, and if you have been inside then you should probably go over your work very carefully, looking at all the connectors, pulling them off and re seating them.

#3 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

Nope havent been in it, I took it down to Starizona and they re did the mount inside and it worked great right after, maybe something shifted. I will take a careful look inside.

#4 rlalum

rlalum

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:40 PM

sometimes low or a faulty pwer supply can make the motors do weird stuff.

#5 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

Yea I kno the low power issues but the mount it fully and well powered. I am going to clear the DEC connections then test it again.

#6 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:35 PM

One of the culprits can be the hand control connectors; put a drop of light oil or, better, electrical contact cleaner (Radio Shack) on the plugs and plug 'em in and unplug them several times.

#7 John J

John J

Viking 1

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:51 AM

Are the random slews on the DEC axis. If they are this indicates that the controller lost encoder feed back on the DEC axis. This would indicate that there is corrosion on the phone plug connections on the DEC cable. Remove the cable and inspect the cable ends for blackish corrosion on the connector tips. If there is some use and exacto knife to scrape it off. Also inspect the female connections for corrosion. Do the same for them if corrosion is noted. Also on the female connection look for a bent pin that could be causing poor connection.

JJ

#8 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

Went to my friends house last night and we put all new ends on all the connections on the wires. After this it worked for a bit then gave a No Responce 17 code, we did all we could. Its now back to Starizona with it to see whats wrong with it now.

#9 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

Is your power connection from power supply to mount super solid? I believe this error code is power related.

Calling Uncle Rod!!
Calling Uncle Rod!!

#10 emiddleb

emiddleb

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

No Response 17 is a problem with the declination motor. It's not a very specific trouble code.

Per the Celestron Knowledge base it could be low power due to a weak supply or bad connection. Other possibles include the wiring to the motor, the motor itself, the motor circuit board, or even the hand controller.

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

Is your power connection from power supply to mount super solid? I believe this error code is power related.

Calling Uncle Rod!!
Calling Uncle Rod!!

Yep, sure can be that, no doubt about it. When problems like this crop up, I urge the sufferer to check both HC and power cables and to make dern sure the battery is good and fully charged.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics