Photo

Upgrade G11 with Gemini or buy a Atlas or CGEM???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

I use a G11 "push to" mount and have the funds to install the Gemini system or use the money to buy a new mount. I use my G11 to image with my TEC 140 and Meade 14 at F2.

The Gemini and the Atlas and CGEM mounts are about the same price.

With a new mount I could take wide field images or visual work when I am using the G11 with the other scopes. I bought my girlfriend a goto mount and it is so cool.

I plan on using a C8 or TEC 140 on the new mount if I get one.

So, give my G11 the ability to plate solve, and goto objects or keep my G11 simple and work with two mounts.

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

Being the mount junkie that I am, you can't have enough mounts. :grin: You do good work with the G11 as it is, so I'd get one of the other mounts to use for the light weight stuff. I've owned an Atlas...it's a good mount. There's a couple of weak point, the small counterweight shaft and the altitude adjustment, but for the money, it's tough to beat.

So, get the second mount. You'll be happy you did it!

David

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

IF, IF, IF you want to use both the big refractor and the big reflector at the same time, then of course two mounts is the logical choice. I actually used to do this quite a bit. I could be looking at faint deep sky objects with the 14" while I was pointing the 6" refractor at bigger, brighter targers.

If you THINK you can see yourself doing this, like during the summer when the sky offers a huge array of both kinds of targets (Heck, dufing the summer, I have THREE telescopes and mounts set up at the same time.. lol) then two mounts sees to be the way to go.

BUT... The G11 is a wonderful mount, and these other mounts will not be its equal. If you think that the majority of your time you would be dedicated to one mount and one telescope during a session, then updating the G11 makes more sense.

Me? I like having the right size mount for each telescope. Even the CGE isn't a great mount for my 6" refractor, and when I cheat and use it on the CGE instead of the LDX 750, I always know that I have given up some stability.. So having the right mount for each scope in my book is important.

Hard call though. I don't think there is a "Wrong" choice here really. Two mounts does seem to offer a lot of flexibility though.

#4 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

• Loc: California

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:45 PM

The G-11 is the better mount in my opinion. Upgrading it would be OK, but maybe you should consider selling it and just getting a G-11 with Gemini?

Of course you can sell the Digital Drive system to recoup some of the cost of upgrading too.

I bought a like new G-11 on Amart for $2600 with accessories and case. Very nice and only 1 month old. But these deal come and go quickly, so you can not just count on one showing up when you want it to do so.

A new mount would also have the latest worms, which would be nice.

The Atlas is a nice mount for visual use, but not as good as the G-11 for photo. Same with the CGEM, visually adequate with some vibration with a long scope. The G-11 tipoid is so darned stiff and strong and I think that makes some diference.

Hard call really, hope you can reach a decision. :)
Blueman

#5 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:33 PM

Dwight,

As long as you plan to keep the G-11, you are okay. You can buy any other mount for playing around - just don't get rid of the good one in your possession. :)

Me? I like the Gemini system and would be very tempted to upgrade the G-11... AND buy a second mount. :lol:

Ron

#6 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Here's an idea..If you're happy with your mounts performance, look for a used G8 with Gemini, swap the Gemini to your mount and the DSC to the G8. Then you can either sell the G8 and get another GOTO mount or keep the G8 for the small OTA's.??????

#7 D_talley

D_talley

Vanguard

• Loc: Richmond VA

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

Looks like I will update the G11 with the Gemini. It does not matter since we have not had a clear moonless night in quite a while.
Thanks everyone.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics