Photo

G-11 Drive controller and motors - resale value?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

I just got my Gemini system installed on my G11 (works great, thanks....) and now I have the original motors, drive controller, connecting wires and hand controller sitting on my kitchen table. Do these items have resale value? If so, what might I ask for them? Cheers, Dave.

#2 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

Have seen a couple come thru Amart for $250 or less.....

Have seen them adapted to other mounts so there is a market other than replacement parts.....

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

Have seen them adapted to other mounts so there is a market other than replacement parts.....

I don't think there's an easy way to change the drive rate for different gear ratios, though. The G11 version (360 tooth worm gear) will work on a G11 or MI-250, while the GM8 version (180 tooth worm gear) will work on a GM8 or a CI-700. Neither will work on Vixen or clone mounts (144 tooth worm gear). I don't know what the internal difference is between the two versions, but the result is that the G11 version runs the RA motor at double speed compared to the GM8 version.

#4 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

You are correct but I have seen one on a big ol shaeffer mount also....using the panel, controller and the motors so I guess where there is a will there is a way :) If I am not mistaken the byers gear was changed out.

I don't think there's an easy way to change the drive rate for different gear ratios, though. The G11 version (360 tooth worm gear) will work on a G11 or MI-250, while the GM8 version (180 tooth worm gear) will work on a GM8 or a CI-700. Neither will work on Vixen or clone mounts (144 tooth worm gear). I don't know what the internal difference is between the two versions, but the result is that the G11 version runs the RA motor at double speed compared to the GM8 version.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics