• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JAMC

JAMC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hello!
I may go the CGE Pro mount way but if not, what other mounts go best with the C14 OTA?
I plan to image somewhere down the road and will pier mount this but at the moment do not have a spot picked out- I would prefer a portable pier now vs tripod.
I would buy a used mount if that would upgrade the setup.
Thanks!

#2 Rusty

Rusty

Hubble

• Loc: Brooker, FL

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights!

I can't answer your question, not having a C-14, but others will.

#3 Rick Socarras

Rick Socarras

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:19 PM

Does ths setup stay put or are you going to need to transport it?

#4 JAMC

JAMC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

Hi-
This will not need to be transported but will need to be moved in and out of a building for viewing sessions... but I am a big guy at 285lbs so unless this gets extremely heavy it should not be a major deal...

#5 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

I don't know how old you are, or the level of your physical condition. Nevertheless, I own a C-14 on a modified CI700 mount (nearly the same as the CGE mount in size and weight)and this mount seems to get bigger with every passing year. Are you familiar with the size and weight of these mounts? If not, let me tell you that they're big and they're heavy! The CGE Pro is much bigger and heavier than the CGE.

If you're going to use the mount in your observatory, it would be ideal for you. If on the other hand, you will be moving it around, think twice!

#6 JAMC

JAMC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

I don't know how old you are, or the level of your physical condition. Nevertheless, I own a C-14 on a modified CI700 mount (nearly the same as the CGE mount in size and weight)and this mount seems to get bigger with every passing year. Are you familiar with the size and weight of these mounts? If not, let me tell you that they're big and they're heavy! The CGE Pro is much bigger and heavier than the CGE.

If you're going to use the mount in your observatory, it would be ideal for you. If on the other hand, you will be moving it around, think twice!

I am familiar with the CGE Pro mount specs but I am in mid 40's, 7' former college athlete and in good shape so I am not afraid! :cool:
No observatory yet but the current viewing area is just a few steps outside of the building... I am just looking for alternative mounts given the lack of a proven track record with the new CGE Pro mount...
Thanks!

#7 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

Hi-
This will not need to be transported but will need to be moved in and out of a building for viewing sessions... but I am a big guy at 285lbs so unless this gets extremely heavy it should not be a major deal...

According to Celestron, a fully assembled C14 CGE Pro weights 243 lbs. That's a lot to carry in a big, awkward, top heavy package. And that is with a tripod rather than a heavier pier.

You can break it down into it's constituent parts, and the heaviest part is only 52 lbs., but it is still a lot of heavy stuff to carry out and assemble.

#8 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:56 PM

... I am just looking for alternative mounts given the lack of a proven track record with the new CGE Pro mount...
Thanks!

You might look at this thread discussing the Losmandy Titan compared to the CGE Pro:

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

#9 JAMC

JAMC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

Hi-

According to Celestron, a fully assembled C14 CGE Pro weights 243 lbs. That's a lot to carry in a big, awkward, top heavy package. And that is with a tripod rather than a heavier pier.

You can break it down into it's constituent parts, and the heaviest part is only 52 lbs., but it is still a lot of heavy stuff to carry out and assemble.

Well if I go the CGE Pro route or alternate mount I will have to move it either way- broken down to some degree for sure- until I set up a permanent pier... so the question is- forget the logistics/weight of set up- is there a better, proven mount for a C14 OTA especially if I would consider a used mount for a potentially 'better' mount for the same money?
Budget for scope and mount ~$10K...
Thanks

#10 JAMC

JAMC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

... I am just looking for alternative mounts given the lack of a proven track record with the new CGE Pro mount...
Thanks!

You might look at this thread discussing the Losmandy Titan compared to the CGE Pro:

http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

Yes that thread to me is 50/50 Titan:CGE Pro... proven old school, possibly out of date, Titan to the unproven, state of the art,new kid on the block CGE Pro...

#11 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:15 PM

Don't really need the pro, the standard CGE will work fine with the C14. Still a big package, though.

#12 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:38 PM

Well if I go the CGE Pro route or alternate mount I will have to move it either way- broken down to some degree for sure- until I set up a permanent pier... so the question is- forget the logistics/weight of set up- is there a better, proven mount for a C14 OTA especially if I would consider a used mount for a potentially 'better' mount for the same money?
Budget for scope and mount ~$10K...
Thanks

Anything in this size and cost class is way beyond what I can move to my dark sky site, or what I can afford, so any comments are not from personal experience.

One option in your price range would be the Takahashi EM-400 Temma II Equatorial Mount. It is rated for 85 lbs. and costs $8000. You can automate it with an external computer (even a Takahashi-customized HP iPaq PDA running The Sky-Pocket edition):

http://www.optcorp.c...id=439-278-7001

Another option would be a used Paramount or MI 250. Here's a used MI250 for $6200:

http://www.optcorp.c...4-919-817-13095

Astro-Physics makes some quality stuff, of course. The 1200GTO is around $10,000, holds 140 lbs. and is reputed to have an excellent Goto system. Can't go wrong with that, but you may have a wait to get one. The 900GTO is less expensive and may suit your needs:

http://www.astro-physics.com/

#13 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:24 AM

Yes that thread to me is 50/50 Titan:CGE Pro

It is actually 50%. The HGM Titan costs 50% more than the CGEPro when you include the tripod. The CGEPro is not in the same class as the HGM Titan.

#14 Bowmoreman

Bowmoreman

Clear enough skies

• Loc: Bolton, MA

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:16 AM

That used MI-250 for $6200 is a great deal and that would easily be my recommendation...

My MI-250 is just so effortless... since a C14 (Hyperstar please) is - at some point - in my future, I upgraded mounts accordingly.

Plus it's fairly easy to tear down and setup (as these things go :lol: and has fabulous PE characteristics... mine is between 2 and 3 arc seconds.

Having had - and loaded up - a CGE; I wouldn't recommend a CGE if imaging is in your cards... the C14 is starting to "push things", especially by the time you add in all sorts of astro-imaging cruft ;)

Only other alternatives really are the Titan.

But again, that used MI-250 for pretty much Titan money would tempt me, if I hadn't already been seduced.

Larry (at MI) makes a nice semi-portable Pier as well... I may consider that (some day) for dark sky vacations if/when we ever get there.

clear enough skies

#15 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:25 AM

What about a set of wheels for the tripod? If you have solid ground out to where you observe this could be a workable option.

#16 JAMC

JAMC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hi Gary-
Thanks for the links... it appears that an upgrade from the CGE Pro mount is 50%+ extra cost no matter which way you go and the CGE Pro is really by itself at that price point...
Bowmoreman-
Thanks for the info re:imaging... as that is my goal down the road I will have to rethink the budget and possibly up the mount a notch...
Thanks again for the advice

#17 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:47 AM

Imaging with a C14 is going to require a substantial mount. The three most important things to consider for imaging are:
1) Mount
2) Mount
3) Mount

My motto is, buy once and cry once. The MI250 would be a minimum in my opinion. It is rated at ~85lbs for AP. The C14 weights close to 50lbs. Add in the weight of the camera, guide scope, rings, plates etc... you get the idea. The CGEPro doesn't have a proven track record yet, its capacity is vague (is it 90lbs visual or AP) the "typical" PE is higher then the MI250's guaranteed performance. I'm not knocking the Pro, but it still has a lot of unknowns.
Another option is the AP mounts. But they are another step up on the price list.
Food for thought.

#18 Al Canarelli

Al Canarelli

Gemini

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

I am familiar with the CGE Pro mount specs but I am in mid 40's, 7' former college athlete and in good shape so I am not afraid!
============================================================
7 foot former college athlete and in good shape? In that case, maybe you can come here and help me move mine. I seem to be getting older and my C-14 rig is getting heavier on a daily basis.

All kidding aside, the C-14 is an absolutely wonderful telescope and the CGE Pro has the makings of a world class mount. The Pro 1400 will save you a lot of money, so that would be the route for you to take.

#19 JAMC

JAMC

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

In that case, maybe you can come here and help me move mine.

What are you paying?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics