9 replies to this topic

#1 kwkee

kwkee

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Far East

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:47 PM

Hi,

For those who have this adaptor plate from Oberwerk (normally sold with its wooden tripods), can you help to post a close up picture of the top of this adaptor plate?

Also, what is the length of the 3/8" stud at the top of the plate? Can that be changed? Does the adaptor has a lot of "flat area" around the stud?

I wanted to mount a Half Hitch onto the Oberwerk wooden tripod but I need to know if the 3/8" adaptor is suitable.

Would appreciate any help here.

thanks
Vin

#2 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

• Loc: Scottsdale AZ

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

You can swap the stud. It goes through all the way out the bottom. I would guesstimate 1/2" protruding.

The way the head sits, it's flat and nothing obstructing a larger head. I will get a pic for you tomorrow AM. Wifey is sleeping next to the mount :D

#3 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:33 AM

Yeh, I measure 3/8" protruding and 2.25" in diameter.

Picture I had on file. I believe a Cloudy member is using the HH with the Oberwerk wooden tripod,just don't recall who.

Attached Files

#4 johnfdean

johnfdean

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: southern tip of Illinois

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

I switched out the stud as soon as I got mine. I had no problems doing so.

#5 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

This thread reminds me of a BAD experience I had with the Oberwerk tripod like the one shown. I didnt have he adapter plate as I got mine with the Oberwerk bino fork mount which is designed to mount just like the adapter plate does.

I later bought a UA millenium parallelagram mount whose tripod adaper can be inserted just like the adapter plate in the pictures above. Issue is the flange on it is fairly thick so you dont get much thread on the big nut. I used it this way at UA's suggestion.

However it worked and worked well.....but I neglected to check it one night for tightness and when I started to teardown and pack up I did as usual which was take the weights off and slowly let the mount down to its limit so I could walk around and take the bino's off.....

Before I could walk around the last thread gave out and the whole contraption flipped off the top of the tripod.....bent one of the dew shields on the APM 100mm Binos and splashed some dirt on the front lens.

Moral to his story.....if it can be tighened, you should check it.

2nd moral to this story......if they make an adapter, get one rather than use something that doesnt really fit properly :)

#6 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

Excellent point!

As an aside, anyone using the OB tripod ought to tighten the hex bolts connecting the legs to the top of the tripod as well. They are located in between the dowl's for each leg. Snugging them up really tightens up the mount.

#7 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

Absolutely correct!.....I was some unimpressed with the tripod until I discovered that....once I tightened them up it makes a very sturdy tripod.

Excellent point!

As an aside, anyone using the OB tripod ought to tighten the hex bolts connecting the legs to the top of the tripod as well. They are located in between the dowl's for each leg. Snugging them up really tightens up the mount.

#8 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:05 PM

On my Oberwerk wood tripod, I concur- the stud is 3/8-18; and protruds up just under 1/2"; I just measured it for a camera mount I made for it.
As a note, the "stud" is actually an allen head bolt threaded into that plate... you can unscrew it with the appropriate sized allen wrench from the bottom (or take the plate off).

#9 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

My solution to modify the Oberwerk wood tripod top plate is to remove the existing adapter altogether and put on a circular plate with a central 10 mm hole fixed by the existing 3 screws. I find using a 3/8” bolt and tighten up the mount with a short spanner is more secure than just screw on the mount by hand to a 3/8” stud.

K W TONG
----------------
C8 + CG-5GT, TSA102 + HEQ5 PRO, MK67 + Voyager Mount, WO ZS 80FD + Kenko NES, NexStar 6SE, WO Megrez 72 + Mizar K Mount, Mini Borg 50, C5, PST

Attached Files

#10 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

Nice work K W !!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics