Photo

Convertible Mounts: Equatorial to Alt-Az

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

Or the reverse - Alt-Az to Equatorial. I see that there are some mounts that can do this. I had known that the whole RA housing on the original Vixen Polaris mount can be rotated upward converting it into an alt-az mount. Additionally I just saw this file giving detailed instructions for doing the same with the Celestron-Vixen Super Polaris mount - http://www.astromart...?article_id=710

What other mounts are out there that can be reconfigured from equatorial to alt-az or from alt-az to equatorial?

(I know the I-Optron Tower mounts can be attached to a wedge converting them to equatorial and any Celestron, Meade, Criterion fork mount can be used in either configuration with either the use of a wedge or omission of a wedge.)

Barry Simon

#2 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Only one I've seen mentioned in addition to those was an earlier version of the CG-4. The current Omni versions can't, apparently.

It was noted in another topic a month or two ago that several mounts can go to latitude 0 which gives you an alt-alt or something like that. However, you still need the counterweights and they might bang into a tripod leg.

I tried this just for fun with my SVP but didn't find it particularly useful. One problem is that, unlike alt-az, you'll still have to rotate your focuser or diagonal often to get a comfortable viewing angle. There is one advantage, no Dobson's Hole at zenith.

Mike

#3 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

My Kenko NES equatorial mount can be used in AltAz mode. I mainly use the AltAz mode for solar observation.

K W TONG
----------------
C8 + CG-5GT, TSA102 + HEQ5 PRO, MK67 + Voyager Mount, WO ZS 80FD + Kenko NES, NexStar 6SE, WO Megrez 72 + Mizar K Mount, Mini Borg 50, C5, PST

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics