•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Convertible Mounts: Equatorial to Alt-Az

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

Or the reverse - Alt-Az to Equatorial. I see that there are some mounts that can do this. I had known that the whole RA housing on the original Vixen Polaris mount can be rotated upward converting it into an alt-az mount. Additionally I just saw this file giving detailed instructions for doing the same with the Celestron-Vixen Super Polaris mount - http://www.astromart...?article_id=710

What other mounts are out there that can be reconfigured from equatorial to alt-az or from alt-az to equatorial?

(I know the I-Optron Tower mounts can be attached to a wedge converting them to equatorial and any Celestron, Meade, Criterion fork mount can be used in either configuration with either the use of a wedge or omission of a wedge.)

Barry Simon

#2 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

Only one I've seen mentioned in addition to those was an earlier version of the CG-4. The current Omni versions can't, apparently.

It was noted in another topic a month or two ago that several mounts can go to latitude 0 which gives you an alt-alt or something like that. However, you still need the counterweights and they might bang into a tripod leg.

I tried this just for fun with my SVP but didn't find it particularly useful. One problem is that, unlike alt-az, you'll still have to rotate your focuser or diagonal often to get a comfortable viewing angle. There is one advantage, no Dobson's Hole at zenith.

Mike

#3 TONGKW

TONGKW

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

My Kenko NES equatorial mount can be used in AltAz mode. I mainly use the AltAz mode for solar observation.

K W TONG
----------------
C8 + CG-5GT, TSA102 + HEQ5 PRO, MK67 + Voyager Mount, WO ZS 80FD + Kenko NES, NexStar 6SE, WO Megrez 72 + Mizar K Mount, Mini Borg 50, C5, PST

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics