Oberwerk surveyor or Gibralter Tripod?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Adam S

Adam S

Viking 1

• Loc: Gunnison, Colorado

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

Hoping you can help me with a decision I'm making regarding my Gibralter tripod, or not... I currently have a Gibralter tripod with Telepod. I am going to purchase a two armed Giro from Teton, and had planned on using it on my current tripod- I really like the size, weight and build of this tripod. However, on Teton's website is the Oberwerk tripod for a very good price. Wondering if let me know how you feel about it and if you've ever used a Gibralter for comparison.

I can't tell if the Oberwerk has lots of metal or plastic, my first Giro (now sold) came with a surveyor tripod which had lots of plastic and was very flimsy-cannot tell much about the build of the Oberwerk from pics available.

Most use will be with a Pronto and solar filter, occasional use with a fully loaded 5" refractor with the Pronto as a counterweight.

Any input is appreciated.

Adam

#2 Phil Frederick

Phil Frederick

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA & La Paz MX

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

Hi Adam,

I've had the Oberwerk (two in fact) and they are very nice tripods. However, I also have the Gibralter and find that it is a better platform.

The connection between the hub and legs is much more solid with the Gibralter in that there is less twist especially when the tray is locked into position. That is, if you raise the tripod up on two legs and rock the leg in your hands side to side you get much less wobble and flex. This is a MAJOR test of tripod stability.

Although I haven't used the Giro (considering getting one) I use the Tak Teegul on the Gibralter tripod as well as the SV Stablelock with excellent results--the Oberwerk did not perform as well tho', it is still a nice tripod for fairly light applications.

My recommendation would be to try the Giro on the Gibralter and see how it worked for you. IMO, don't be quick to get rid of it! Unless you wanted to really beef up and get a big Berlebach, which of course would add some weight to your setup.

Hope this helps, but I'm sure you'll get other opinions! :)

Phil

#3 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

I also have two and consider them a solid medium duty platform. I like pairing my FS-102(or smaller) and GIRO III on them, but anything larger is probably pushing it.

Like Phil said, try the Gilbralter first. BTW, those $75 Oberwerk wooden BLEM tripods are still available at BigBinoculars.com if you still want to try that one.

Attached Files

#4 Adam S

Adam S

Viking 1

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the input-the wobble in the center was the issue I had with my surveyor years ago. I'll work the Gibralter for a while-it should work great with the Pronto. I doubt I'll use the 5" much which; but we'll see. I'd love a Berlebach-have not seen one but pics lead me to believe that this is the best wooden tripod made (a little out of my current price range though!).

#5 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

• Loc: Scottsdale AZ

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Berlebach's are outstanding but $$$. Use your Gibralter first and then save for a Berleback ;)

#6 Adam S

Adam S

Viking 1

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

Jim, that's the exact mount I'm getting-red with two arms.

#7 ottovonrotton

ottovonrotton

Vostok 1

• Loc: Where is Port Perry?

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

Hello, Just to throw another one in, Found a company in norway that makes cool looking ones just don't know how strong they are.
try www.stabil.nu

Ottovonrotton

#8 AZStarGuy

AZStarGuy

Apollo

• Loc: Scottsdale AZ

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

Nice! Wish I could read Norwegian.

#9 johnfdean

johnfdean

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: southern tip of Illinois

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

I have an Oberwerk. It certainly beats what most scopes in run into are delivered on. But it still strikes me as being on the light side.

#10 ottovonrotton

ottovonrotton

Vostok 1

• Loc: Where is Port Perry?

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

Stabil has an english site just click "in english" at the top right.

Ottovonrotton

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics