Photo

Teegul and Tec?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

Guys and Girls,

I really miss my Teegul Lapides mount. I might pick on up in the future, but I'm wondering if it can support my TEC140 or I will be pushing the limits a bit too far?

The mount will sit on my Gitzo GT5531CF tripod - 55 lbs payload.

Thanks!
Emanuele

#2 highwood

highwood

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

Emanuele:

I have a TEC 140, a Lapides-mod Teegul, and the same Gitzo you do; however, I have not tried to use them together and don't think I ever will. The mount and tripod are excellent for my 4" f6 refractor, but the TEC weighs twice as much and is nearly double the length. I wouldn't be willing to push the limits that far, but I'm pretty risk-averse in general.

Jim

#3 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

Jim,

thank you for your thoughts: the 140 is pretty long and yes, I agree, it would actually be kind of a risk to try this setup out.
I am finding to be hard to find an Alt/Az mount with slowmo controls that is comparable to the Teegul Lapides.....

E.

#4 highwood

highwood

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

If a beefed up version of the Teegul existed, I'd jump on it myself! I've used a Universal Astronomics alt-az, mounted on an AP wooden tripod, with the TEC. It's OK, but I have some balance issues. So I've been tending just to drag out GEM: the extra stability and the drive have made the extra effort worthwile.

Good luck finding what works for you.

Jim

#5 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Yep, I'd jump on it as well.
I would use this, as I did before, to image from my apartment balcony or through my window.
I miss that a lot.

E.

#6 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

Guys and Girls,

I really miss my Teegul Lapides mount. I might pick on up in the future, but I'm wondering if it can support my TEC140 or I will be pushing the limits a bit too far?

The mount will sit on my Gitzo GT5531CF tripod - 55 lbs payload.

Thanks!
Emanuele

TEC140 on a Teegul is not going to fly! Way too big and heavy.

There is an article on Amart from a guy who heavily modified his Teegul to carry a TEC140, but by the time he got done with it you can barely recognize the mount anymore!

#7 Herenomore

Herenomore

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Jim,

thank you for your thoughts: the 140 is pretty long and yes, I agree, it would actually be kind of a risk to try this setup out.
I am finding to be hard to find an Alt/Az mount with slowmo controls that is comparable to the Teegul Lapides.....

E.

Seems like a small price to pay for a decent set of slo-mo's. Give the teegul a shot and let us know how that works out for you.

#8 CESDewar

CESDewar

GorillAstronomer

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

I have a Teegul mount on a Gitzo 5530s tripod and have put my SCT-8 on it which, fully loaded can top 21 lbs. I've also put my NP-127 fully loaded on it too - which was about the same. BTW - you had a comment about a 55lb payload? My understanding is that the TEC-140 is around 20lbs for the OTA and should therefore be around 30lbs with finder/rings/diagonal/EP ??

Both my C-8 and Np-127 worked just fine - settling time with the NP-127 was about 2 seconds with vibration pads which I consider more than reasonable.

But a TEC-140 is many pounds heavier again. My guess is that the Teegul mount could in fact carry it, but would become unworkable in a light wind etc. I observe from the bottom of a valley where there is never any wind while observing.

I agree that there are definitely few choices in a more robust AltAz with SloMo controls. I just really prefer SloMo controls and so using the NP-127 on the Teegul is something I prefer over using it on my DM-6, even though the DM-6 is a more stable mount.

Attached Files

#9 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

The Stellarvue MG/MGE mount has slo-mo controls. It looks a bit beefier than a Teegul but I am not sure. Worth looking into.

Rob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics