CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Teegul and Tec?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:51 AM

Guys and Girls,

I really miss my Teegul Lapides mount. I might pick on up in the future, but I'm wondering if it can support my TEC140 or I will be pushing the limits a bit too far?

The mount will sit on my Gitzo GT5531CF tripod - 55 lbs payload.

Thanks!
Emanuele

#2 highwood

highwood

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

Emanuele:

I have a TEC 140, a Lapides-mod Teegul, and the same Gitzo you do; however, I have not tried to use them together and don't think I ever will. The mount and tripod are excellent for my 4" f6 refractor, but the TEC weighs twice as much and is nearly double the length. I wouldn't be willing to push the limits that far, but I'm pretty risk-averse in general.

Jim

#3 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

Jim,

thank you for your thoughts: the 140 is pretty long and yes, I agree, it would actually be kind of a risk to try this setup out.
I am finding to be hard to find an Alt/Az mount with slowmo controls that is comparable to the Teegul Lapides.....

E.

#4 highwood

highwood

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

If a beefed up version of the Teegul existed, I'd jump on it myself! I've used a Universal Astronomics alt-az, mounted on an AP wooden tripod, with the TEC. It's OK, but I have some balance issues. So I've been tending just to drag out GEM: the extra stability and the drive have made the extra effort worthwile.

Good luck finding what works for you.

Jim

#5 Emanuele

Emanuele

Lord of the Ring

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Yep, I'd jump on it as well.
I would use this, as I did before, to image from my apartment balcony or through my window.
I miss that a lot.

E.

#6 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

Guys and Girls,

I really miss my Teegul Lapides mount. I might pick on up in the future, but I'm wondering if it can support my TEC140 or I will be pushing the limits a bit too far?

The mount will sit on my Gitzo GT5531CF tripod - 55 lbs payload.

Thanks!
Emanuele

TEC140 on a Teegul is not going to fly! Way too big and heavy.

There is an article on Amart from a guy who heavily modified his Teegul to carry a TEC140, but by the time he got done with it you can barely recognize the mount anymore!

#7 Herenomore

Herenomore

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Jim,

thank you for your thoughts: the 140 is pretty long and yes, I agree, it would actually be kind of a risk to try this setup out.
I am finding to be hard to find an Alt/Az mount with slowmo controls that is comparable to the Teegul Lapides.....

E.

Seems like a small price to pay for a decent set of slo-mo's. Give the teegul a shot and let us know how that works out for you.

#8 CESDewar

CESDewar

GorillAstronomer

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

I have a Teegul mount on a Gitzo 5530s tripod and have put my SCT-8 on it which, fully loaded can top 21 lbs. I've also put my NP-127 fully loaded on it too - which was about the same. BTW - you had a comment about a 55lb payload? My understanding is that the TEC-140 is around 20lbs for the OTA and should therefore be around 30lbs with finder/rings/diagonal/EP ??

Both my C-8 and Np-127 worked just fine - settling time with the NP-127 was about 2 seconds with vibration pads which I consider more than reasonable.

But a TEC-140 is many pounds heavier again. My guess is that the Teegul mount could in fact carry it, but would become unworkable in a light wind etc. I observe from the bottom of a valley where there is never any wind while observing.

I agree that there are definitely few choices in a more robust AltAz with SloMo controls. I just really prefer SloMo controls and so using the NP-127 on the Teegul is something I prefer over using it on my DM-6, even though the DM-6 is a more stable mount.

Attached Files

#9 NHRob

NHRob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

The Stellarvue MG/MGE mount has slo-mo controls. It looks a bit beefier than a Teegul but I am not sure. Worth looking into.

Rob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics