Photo

Recommended Planetarium software for EQ6 Pro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 rdegoutier

rdegoutier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:47 AM

Hi

I'm looking for a reliable planetarium/mount control software that works with Synscan/EQ6. I just tried SkyX Serious Astonomer, but it is very hit and miss for mount control, and doesn't support ASCOM or EQMOD.

I'd appreciate any feedback on what is used and pros/cons.

I'm currently using a Windows laptop but will be switching to a Mac Book Pro in the next few weeks, so support for Mac is important.

Thanks-
Robin

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:09 PM

About mac support i can not help but will tell you what i know about the windows planetariums. First of all it is best to use planetarium which is ascom compatible because this way you can also use eqmod. Cartes du ciel also known as star charts is good free program which you can use. It is not realistic 3d drawing of sky but it is good star chart and works well with ascom. Also it is not resource hungry and will work well even on old computers.Stellarium with the addon "stellarium scope" is another possibility. It is also free, it has good 3d engine and with the help of the scope addon it can work with ascom. It also requires more resources and is sometimes sensitive to display drivers esepecially if the videocard is not ati or nvidia. Starry night pro 6 is maybe the most powerful of all but it is expensive software and requires much more powerful PC. It is also ascom compatible. Some users also use hallo northern sky but i have not used it. The sky is another possibility but it has some problems with ascom.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hi

I'm looking for a reliable planetarium/mount control software that works with Synscan/EQ6. I just tried SkyX Serious Astonomer, but it is very hit and miss for mount control, and doesn't support ASCOM or EQMOD.

Hi, Robin.

I've not used TheSky SA version, but I can report that TheSky6 Pro is very powerful and reliable in terms of telescope control, and works perfectly with ASCOM.

#4 rdegoutier

rdegoutier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hi, Robin.

I've not used TheSky SA version, but I can report that TheSky6 Pro is very powerful and reliable in terms of telescope control, and works perfectly with ASCOM.

Thanks

It looks like The SkyX is the replacement software for Sky6. The only version available so far is SkyX SA, which I bought. Unfortunately, the mount/Synscan doesn't support Sync, and the software doesn't support ASCOM.

I've done manual syncs where I start with both SkyX and mount aligned to the same object. This works (sort of) but about every third slew goes off in the wrong direction. There is either a bug in the software or something in the mount interpreting the slew signals wrong. Looks like it will be a while before the developers can get to solving this, so I want to look at other solutions.

I could do a backwards upgrade to Sky6 Pro, then wait for the SkyX Pro release, which will support ASCOM, or I can try something different (if anyone else has had good success with another product).

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hi

I'd appreciate any feedback on what is used and pros/cons.

I'm currently using a Windows laptop but will be switching to a Mac Book Pro in the next few weeks, so support for Mac is important.

Thanks-
Robin

If you are switching to a Mac, you can pretty much forget ASCOM; it is not supported for Macintosh. You might get it to work if you've got Windows loaded on the Mac, but then, why have a Mac?

Other than TheSky, for Mac I'd look at Voyager and Starry Night Pro Plus.

#6 midnightblue

midnightblue

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:14 PM

have you tried stellarium its free it works with ascom eqmod
as rmollise as pointed out ascom and mac dont mix

#7 scout72

scout72

Apollo

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:52 AM

found this link by googling "mac" and "astronomy" - hope there is something useful here:

http://www.davidilli.../astromac.shtml

#8 Pierre Stromberg

Pierre Stromberg

Ranger 4

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

Robin might be able to get this working on a Mac if he's using Parallels or VMWare as a virtualization options.

If Robin verifies that a USB to Serial interface device can be supported on the Mac, then there's a high degree of probability that it could work.

As for me, I use StarCalc with EQMOD for my EQ6.

P

#9 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:09 PM

I am not mac expert but as far as i know intel based macs can run windows in dual boot configuration using something caled bootcamp. So i do not see where is the problem with the mac. You just make dual boot configuration and use windows when you use the laptop for astro and the osx for everyday use.

#10 rdegoutier

rdegoutier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for your responses everybody.

It looks like the makers of SkyX are going to address the issue with Synscan/EQ6 mounts, and it is an awesome program, so for now I'll stick with it.

#11 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:07 AM

I am not having any problems running my Synscan/EQ5 with Sky6 Serious Astronomer edition. Maybe you can try that until they fix SkyX. Works with the cable and also with the Starry Nights Blue Star for wireless control. Just have to be on Synscan version 3.12 or higher.

#12 rdegoutier

rdegoutier

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

I am not having any problems running my Synscan/EQ5 with Sky6 Serious Astronomer edition. Maybe you can try that until they fix SkyX. Works with the cable and also with the Starry Nights Blue Star for wireless control. Just have to be on Synscan version 3.12 or higher.

I'll see if I can get a temporary downgrade.

Can you run more than one Bluestar? It would be nice to go wireless, but I run PHD for autoguiding plus a remote camera control. Right now I have a three cable harness which is a pain.

#13 DanB

DanB

No Capos Allowed

• -----

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:28 PM

Starry nights works for me just fine. Dan

#14 Ron359

Ron359

Vostok 1

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

check out Equinox 6. If you're switching to Mac this is the most functional planetarium-imaging software out there for Macs. http://www.microproj...a/equinox6.html

I use a Macbook pro for imaging/guiding my Atlas, but not yet used a planetarium program.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics