Photo

Gemini Motor Noise?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 astrosys16

astrosys16

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:39 PM

My motors sound nice and smooth and I admit that there is no technical reason to do it but I would like to "quietly slew". Has anyone ever tried to sound proof the motors with some sort of covers, I saw one post indicating the motors heated so I wondered if this would be a limiting factor.

SIDE NOTE:
I am not quite sure how folks are getting their equipment to list with the post. I find this helpful information and would like to reciprocate so feedback would be welcomed.

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:11 PM

About the equipment list - it is called signature. You should click on the "My home" link in upper right and then a new window will appear. At the down part of this window there is "Personal information, email, password, etc" writing with Edit link on the right. Click it. Then scroll down until you see the "Signature (up to 500 characters)" writing. Everything you type in this box will be shown below your posts.

#3 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:18 AM

I would worry about them getting too warm. One way to make it slew with less noise is to slow it down. I run all my mounts about 1/2 max slew speed, so what if it takes an extra 30 seconds to get to an object?

#4 blueman

blueman

Photon Catcher

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:27 PM

Hi,
The noise is coming from the gearboxes mostly, not the motors themselves. The pinion gear on the motor shaft runs on a Nylon gear in the gearbox and this seems to be the major source for the noise. You could put something around the gearbox leaving the motor open to cool, it might helps some but not that much.
Blueman

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics