• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jamesmak

jamesmak

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Wi, USA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:33 AM

Has anyone used both for a comparo? I'm looking at either a celestron C6 GT reflector or meade 6in. newtonian LXD75 N-6AT. Thanks!!!

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

Has anyone used both for a comparo? I'm looking at either a celestron C6 GT reflector or meade 6in. newtonian LXD75 N-6AT. Thanks!!!

Yes. I've used both, and, let's face it, both are very similar mounts. I find the CG5 slightly easier to use, though, and also somewhat more dependable. I also like the ability to use NexRemote with it (using a wireless gamepad as a hand controller is _cool_)...

#3 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hi James and welcome to CN!

I've used both and prefer the Celestron mainly because I like the NexStar hand controller better. As Rod noted, they're both fairly similar.

Which 'C6' were you thinking about? C6 SCT, C6 Newtonian, or C6 Refractor?

Patrick

#4 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Sonoma, Northern California

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

I've owned both and stuck with the Meade only because I also owned a LX200R and was quite familiar with the Autostar controller. They are both easy to use and you wouldn't be disappointed with either.

#5 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

Oooooooo. That AR5 will look mighty sweet on the LXD75 mount though. I don't have a pic of my AR6 on this computer but I do have one with my Antares 1529. Pretty sweet huh?

Attached Files

#6 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

I will be the voice of dissent. I think the Meade is easier to use and I like the way it tracks a little better than the GT5. I can align it quicker than the Celestron and it is more intuitive for me. I also like the tonights best and a stars life tour. That's not to say that the Celestron isn't also easy to use. Once I get the first star, I am usually set. The difference seems to be that even if I find Polaris with the Celestron the first star is almost never in the finder scope (its usually just off to the side), while in the Meade it is almost always in the finder scope and most times it is in the eyepiece.

I think I am in the minority here, so take my 2 cents with a grain a salt.

#7 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:41 AM

Actually it's a tie. I prefer the LXD75 myself as evident in the picture.

#8 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:04 PM

Dan,

I didn't see your post when I was typing. So it is a tie. Nice looking set-up.

James,

I think if you get either you will be happy. This is my SN6 on the LXD 75 Mount.

Attached Files

#9 jamesmak

jamesmak

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Wi, USA

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hi Dan, Pat, and all. Thanks for the replies. Nice looking scopes. I am leaning toward the Meade, it will also match my AR5. I recently sold my LX200 10 and 12" because the AR5 gave me almost as good of views for many thousands less. Optics planet, here I come!! Hey Dan, how do you like your 20" obsession?

#10 FoxTrot

FoxTrot

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:54 PM

James, just my 2 cents, but if the Celestron uses Nextstar, then I would go Celestron instead of Meade. Autostar IMHO is probably more cumbersome than Nextstar for visual use, the short cut buttons are a boon for the Celestron HC. Autostar II is better than Autostar, but the latter is what comes with the bog standard LXD75. Fox

#11 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:56 AM

I've never used an LXD75, but I own and enjoy using my CG-5ASGT. Very easy to set up, and very accurate tracking.

#12 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:45 AM

My advice would be to download the manuals for each mount from the manufacturers and simply scan though them. Imagine that you are going to do a half dozen targets, and see how much would be required to move the scope for each one.

I prefer the NexStar H/C with shortcuts, but the primary advantage of the Meade is that if you like to do a lot of manual slewing, the Meade lets you change the slew speed easily.

But like I say, I prefer the NexStar shortcut keys. If you have a go-to scope, you find yourself doing a LOT more objects in a session, and far less random slewing around.

It sounds like you were already pre-disposed to the Meade because it matches your telescope, so not sure it it would have made a difference in the end.. Most of us like what we like and will buy it regardless of what other's opinions are, yes??

#13 Rick Whitman

Rick Whitman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville,Kentucky

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:01 AM

I enjoy my LXD75.It has very accurate tracking

#14 WadeH237

WadeH237

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:18 AM

If you are used to Autostar, you will find the LXD-75 easier to use. If you are used to NexStar, you will find the CG5-GT easier to use.

If you have not used either Autostar or NexStar, most people would probably say that NexStar is easier - but it's a completely subjective thing and YMMV.

-Wade

#15 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

Hi Dan, Pat, and all. Thanks for the replies. Nice looking scopes. I am leaning toward the Meade, it will also match my AR5. I recently sold my LX200 10 and 12" because the AR5 gave me almost as good of views for many thousands less. Optics planet, here I come!! Hey Dan, how do you like your 20" obsession?

It's a wonderful telescope and I am very happy with it. Don't even mind climbing a ladder to get to the eyepiece!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics