Photo

"smoothest guiding" mount for $2K, $3K, and $5K?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

but I couldn't help but think that the Vixen QC might not be any better than the Synta.

The QC might not be better, but the Q definitely still is. You seem to be most interested, in this thread, in finding a mount that can give you a smooth PE that will be easiest to guide out. The Vixen mounts are more likely to deliver this than the chinese imports (at least so far as I've known, though things are changing very rapidly these days!).

I recently upgraded an old Super Polaris mount with an iOptron Gotonova goto kit, and so far I'm pretty happy with the results (and it was CHEAP to do!). See
My thread on goto'ing a Super Polaris

I once compared the PE on all my mounts using Astro IIDC and a firewire camera. The results were interesting.

My old super polaris had a very smooth PE of about 20-22 arc seconds. So smooth that it was easy to take 2 minute unguided exposures with a 4.25" f/5.5 Newt and have more than half the frames suitable for stacking.

My ~1980 vintage C-8's spur gear drive was also around 20 arc seconds PE, but very jumpy and non-periodic. Too long a focal length to image unguided, so I never tried. But I did try once to image with an SBIG ST2000XM and an AO-7 (WAY out of balance, so I only shot toward the meridian and zenith during that test), and the AO-7 gave round stars in exposures about 5 minutes long. No guide port, though, so I haven't used the old fork mount since that experiment.

Tak EM-10, Temma 2 Jr: This is truly a wonderful "light to medium duty" mount. I routinely mount the C-8 on it with a Megrez 80mm piggyback and take astrophotos with it. PE tested out to right around 8-10 Seconds as advertised, and is very smooth.

Tak NJP Temma PC: Wonderful moderate-heavy AP mount. I bought mine used for about $4500 about 3 years ago (paid about $2200 for the EM-10 at the same time). This mount doesn't care about winds that often kick up at my dark sky site, though I've only taken dark sky images with short tubes, like the C-8 with various refractors piggyback or on a Triad bar. PE right around the advertised 4 second level, and very smooth.

I would think that a used Vixen mount, perhaps a GPDX or some other derivitave of the polaris, and perhaps with one of the modern goto upgrade kits, would not steer you wrong, though your 9.25" would be at the upper limit for comfortable AP.

-Tim.

#27 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

I forgot to add the Nexstar 9.25 GPS, which I also tested, though I think I mentioned this before: 20-22" PE, very jumpy. But autoguidable.

-Tim.

#28 adamsp123

adamsp123

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: welshpool mid wales UK

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hi Bob.

OK I have a Vixen Sphinx mount,EQ6 and Atlux. The sphinx is very light but incredibly sturdy and will take quite a load,I have had a meade 10" SNT at 29lbs on it and worked fine, although in theory it would be overloaded, but it gave one minute unguided tracking without problem. The Starbook IMO is great to use and has an autoguiding port. The sphinx is heck of a mount.
I also have an EQ6 which is a much more massive beast which seems to be one of the main choices for astrophotographers in the UK as it offer incredible value for money and takes a high load.
I recently got my hands on a secondhand Vixen Atlux at a good price and that again is a real cracker oozes quality, so I am now selling my EQ6 but I would have happily stuck to the EQ6 but it was an oppotunity I couldn't miss.
I would recommend that you consider autoguiding right from the off because soon as you do, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Also the Sphinx SXD is worth a thought.

#29 Bob D

Bob D

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:04 PM

Thanks to a couple of Vixen mount owners for chiming in here to reassure me. I feel better already! :D

So, my current conclusions, based on the overall advice regarding my criteria for each rough price point (new) are:

(1) <$2K -- CGEM or Atlas
(2) <$3K -- Vixen Sphinx SXD
(3) <$5K -- Tak EM-200 (or EM-11)

Thanks again to all!

#30 Mark Jenkins

Mark Jenkins

Messenger

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

Tim!

Posted Image

In the Court of the Crimson King! Awesome!

#31 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:02 PM

Yes!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics