Photo

CG5-did I make a boo boo by updating the firmware

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 seeker372011

seeker372011

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:54 AM

I updated the HC and MC firmware on my CG5-which has given me sterling service over the years

I was sucked in by the new polar alignment routine which I thought would be really nifty

anyway though I did the update some time ago, thanks to weather and competition with another mount-never really had a chance to try it out till last night..when I only got a short while before cloud

However I found that it was way way way off on both first and second alignment stars. This never used to be the case with the original firmware

anyway I dragged it back using the HC added a couple of calibration stars and it found a bright test object OK

I then tried to use the polar alignment routine -on the star I was on , which happened to be Hadar-and the OTA wound up pointing at the ground!

I did a factory reset, entered location date time etc etc all over again and the same problem with alignment stars; I could not complete alignment because of 100% cloud...but is there some known southern hemisphere bug with the latest upgrade?
did anyone else have a similar problem?

is there an undo button somewhere :(

Is it worth trying Celestron tech suport help? the last time I wrote them -on another issue-it took a week to get an acknowledgement, and I got much better advice here on CN well before which resolved my issue

thanks for any hints

Narayan

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

I then tried to use the polar alignment routine -on the star I was on , which happened to be Hadar-and the OTA wound up pointing at the ground!

I did a factory reset, entered location date time etc etc all over again and the same problem with alignment stars; I could not complete alignment because of 100% cloud...but is there some known southern hemisphere bug with the latest upgrade?

Which build did you update to? There _was_ a Southern Hemisphere bug with 4.15...

#3 seeker372011

seeker372011

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:44 AM

Rod

indeed it was v 4.15 !!!

you say "was"-so presumably its now fixed-so if I just update it should work hopefully???
Narayan

#4 seeker372011

seeker372011

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:02 AM

just downloaded 4.16

for some reason I had to uninstall the earlier version of HC update-it simply would not connect and download and install a new version..and it straight away told me that there was a new version with a southern hemisphere fix--so hopefully that solves the issue
thanks Rod for your assistance once again..I hope to be using the new polar alignment routine soon, if all goes well

Clear skies
Narayan

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

just downloaded 4.16

for some reason I had to uninstall the earlier version of HC update-it simply would not connect and download and install a new version..and it straight away told me that there was a new version with a southern hemisphere fix--so hopefully that solves the issue
thanks Rod for your assistance once again..I hope to be using the new polar alignment routine soon, if all goes well

Clear skies
Narayan

Let us know how it goes, but I'm a-guessin' you will be fine now. :jump:

#6 seeker372011

seeker372011

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:20 AM

just downloaded 4.16

Clear skies
Narayan

Let us know how it goes, but I'm a-guessin' you will be fine now. :jump:

First clear night-worked like a charm !!!

the any star polar alignment was brilliant-fastest I have ever been polar aligned !!

This is a fantastic feature...thanks Rod

Narayan :cool: :cool: :cool: :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics