Atlas/EQ6 - GPS Device Alternative?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vegasMike

vegasMike

Viking 1

• Loc: Las Vegas

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hi All, I am interested in getting on of those handy GPS units to help sync location and time data to an Atlas/EQ6 with laptop running EQMOD. I wish to find an alternative to the $150 GPS unit Orion sells. Is there a specific "standard" with some funky Acronym I should know to assist in my search:question:Something small, portable, compatible and less than $150 would be the goal.

I am NOT using a hand controller and the mount is directly connected to PC running WinXP via EQDIR module.

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:07 AM

Hi All, I am interested in getting on of those handy GPS units to help sync location and time data to an Atlas/EQ6 with laptop running EQMOD. I wish to find an alternative to the $150 GPS unit Orion sells. Is there a specific "standard" with some funky Acronym I should know to assist in my search:question:Something small, portable, compatible and less than $150 would be the goal.

I am NOT using a hand controller and the mount is directly connected to PC running WinXP via EQDIR module.

EQMOD will allow you to use many off-the-shelf GPS receivers. All you need is one with a serial NMEA output. Me? I'm usin' one I got at the local hamfest for 20 bucks. When I use one. Frankly, for a GEM, GPS is nothing more than a time-saver (a minimal one) you don't have to key in the lat/lon. Since EQMOD allows you to save locations, my GPS rarely comes out of the box.

See the EQMOD faq/Wiki for more details.
;)

#3 vegasMike

vegasMike

Viking 1

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

All you need is one with a serial NMEA output.

Hi Rod, thanks for chiming in here. So, does this mean I need another serial/usb cable for the GPS unit?

EDIT: Ohh, this NMEA output is basicly the same output as the Orion module, which Orion states must be used in conjunction with the hand controller (which I am not using).

:question:

#4 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:34 AM

The NMEA is basically a standard. It can be used a number of different ways. You don't have to have the handset - it will work fine with EQMOD.

#5 vegasMike

vegasMike

Viking 1

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:41 PM

I think I got it... so, NMEA is a data type standard not a hardware connection type standard and the Orion unit shown on the website that shows a weird PS2 type plug probably goes into the rear of the unit and has a USB socket at the other end? That makes more sense.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

All you need is one with a serial NMEA output.

Hi Rod, thanks for chiming in here. So, does this mean I need another serial/usb cable for the GPS unit?

EDIT: Ohh, this NMEA output is basicly the same output as the Orion module, which Orion states must be used in conjunction with the hand controller (which I am not using).

:question:

No...what I'm telling you about is how to use a STANDARD GPS receiver with EQMOD. "NMEA" is "National Marine Electronic Association" and what that means is that this is the standard serial interface for GPS receivers.

You will need a serial cord for your particular receiver.

You really only need to hook up the GPS ONCE for each site if you save the site location with EQMOD. When you come back to said site, just load it. A different position by a few meters from last time--or even hundreds of meters--won't cause a problem.

#7 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

You might want to give this outfit a call.

David

#8 Ramses

Ramses

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Freeland, MI

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

On the EQMOD Yahoo group under "Database" there is a file listing the GPS units that have been tried and work with EQMOD.

I use a Garmin GPS 10 bluetooth through the virtual serial port on my netbook with good success.

#9 midnightblue

midnightblue

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: over the hill

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

i use iPhone 3G with google earth then i manually input my
latitude longitude and time then use starmap pro to check
tonight's best

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics