• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 donnie3

donnie3

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

im trying to do some simple astrophotography. the area that i have to observe in has a lot of obstructions, trees, rooftops, etc, seeing polaris is out of the question and drift alignment I've tried but cant seem to get the right stars to align on so im kind of in a pickle! is there any type of mount that will polar align electronicly good enough to do lets say 1 maybe 2 minutes without star trails. im using a dslr.

#2 Grouptele

Grouptele

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Qcy, IL

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

is there any type of mount that will polar align electronicly good enough to do lets say 1 maybe 2 minutes without star trails

The CGEM is claimed to electronically polar align without the need to see Polaris, thus it could achieve 1-2min, unguided, trail-less imaging with a DSLR + 80mm scope, but I have not used it. There are several posts on the CGEM in this forum.

Alt-azth, fork-mounted SCT's (e.g., CPC) also can align without the need to see Polaris area, and achieve up to 90sec imaging with round stars, but the capture time will depend on the part of the sky been tracked. I used one for months in this manner, and typically captured images 25-35sec long.

Victor

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

>>>The CGEM is claimed to electronically polar align without the need to see Polaris<<<

Same is true for the CG5ASGT with current firmware.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics