• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adamsp123

adamsp123

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: welshpool mid wales UK

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

Setup was C80ED on a Vixen Sphinx mount with Starbook controller, QHY5 guidecam, netbook PC.

Software used QHY5(1024) driver and PHD....
Ok ....connect PC to QHY5 and QHY5 to Starbook autoguider port (there is no port on the mount)

So using "CCd labs Q Guider" for the Camera selection, and "On camera" for the mount, start images, I get pics of the stars on the Screen and focus, select star I get green box around the star.

I call up a grid and click PHD box to start guiding! I get H and V dotted lines through the guidestar but the mount doesn't correctly track, you can see the star dirfting slowly out of position. The green box is still there tracking the star but dotted cross hairs stay where star was originally located on the PC screen. :bawling:

What have I not done, or done wrong??
Your ideas most welcome and thanks for any response.

Pete

#2 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

I'm not familiar with your particular setup, but with my Tak mounts I have to make sure that I've set the mount up for the slowest guiding speed possible via the hand controller.

Similarly, I need to make sure that I set up Astro IIDC (that I use for guiding) to calibrate with reasonable durations on each axis, and reasonable pixel deviations. If I do it wrong, guiding doesn't work. But when I get it right, it does a fabulous job.

-Tim.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

What have I not done, or done wrong??
Your ideas most welcome and thanks for any response.

Pete

Hi, Pete.

Any diagnosis will require a description of what you observed during calibration. That's when you can see what is and what isn't working properly.

#4 karlpenney

karlpenney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Halifax, NS

Posted 14 June 2009 - 12:59 PM

What version of the firmware do you have in the Starbook? I think it needs to be at least 1.2 build 29 to allow autoguiding without entering keycodes.

#5 adamsp123

adamsp123

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: welshpool mid wales UK

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:28 PM

What version of the firmware do you have in the Starbook? I think it needs to be at least 1.2 build 29 to allow autoguiding without entering keycodes.

This seems to be the problem I have build 28 doh! so update and try again.
Thanks to all for responses, most welcome.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics