• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 R Nitzel

R Nitzel

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

After 4 months, it appears my CGEM has become a brick. Had it out last week for several sessions with no problems whatsoever. I set it up this evening, plugged everything in, ran cables, flipped the switch, and.........nothing. Poked, prodded, wiggled connections, to no avail. I get a red power light, but no display on the handheld, no scope movement using the arrows, and can't connect via nexremote. I verifed the handheld is good by plugging it into my 130slt. I also tried the 130slt handheld on the cgem. I've emailed Celestron and am waiting to hear something back. Any ideas on other things to try? Not looking forward to packaging the thing up. Can't find a good place to apply duct tape or WD-40, so my southern engineering degree is of little use.

#2 Bill W.

Bill W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Western PA, USA

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

Is there a fuse in them somewhere????

-Bill

#3 R Nitzel

R Nitzel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:08 PM

No fuse that I could find. I think there's one in the cigarette lighter adapter, but I'm getting power to the scope, so that one should be good.

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

You should probably try plugging the handbox into the AUX jack (which is wired the same as the handbox jack on that model) just to make sure it's not just a connector problem.

#5 R Nitzel

R Nitzel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:20 AM

Tried that too, no joy. I guess I'm without my mount for a month or so. Hopefully they're quicker than they were with my 130SLT. They're 2 for 2 - everything Celestron that I own will have been back to visit them at least once.

#6 BCB

BCB

Undercover Saboteur

• Loc: Look over your shoulder

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:44 AM

One other option..

See if you can connect to it with the software that's used to update the hand controller. If it can, reload the firmware and then see what happens. It sounds as if the firmware got FUBARed somehow.

#7 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

And any progress ...

#8 R Nitzel

R Nitzel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

I haven't had a chance to try the firmware upgrade software. Nexremote wouldn't connect, but the firmware is worth a try. I did try the aux port last night with both handhelds, but no luck. Hopefully, I can try the firmware tonight after work. No word back from Celestron - I was at least hoping for a response today. Maybe I'll send Meade an email as well, just to see if I get a faster response.

#9 R Nitzel

R Nitzel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

I tried using HCUpdate. It tells me to hold down Undo and Info to get into programming mode. Tried it, but no luck. Is there any other hard reset key combination for the nexstar handsets?

#10 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

I tried using HCUpdate. It tells me to hold down Undo and Info to get into programming mode. Tried it, but no luck. Is there any other hard reset key combination for the nexstar handsets?

If you cannot connect using NexRemote (via a _PC_ port and _programming_ cable), none of this is likely to work. Call Celestron.

#11 rodney

rodney

Vendor - Explora Dome

• Vendors
  • Loc: Asbury, NJ

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:34 PM

Interesting. Both HC's would not work. It sounds as if something internal has come apart. On two AS-GT mounts I have the connector inside was loose. Another thing I noted was the HC port on one of the mounts was filthy. I cleaned it out with some Iso-alcohol and a q-tip and it worked perfectly since. That was 8 months ago and that mount is permanent in an observatory.

Oh yeah, even though the mount shows power, how much is coming out of the power source. If a 12volt battery and it is even the slightest bit weak it will make want to pull your hair out trying to diagnose. Try another full charged "NEW" battery and clean those contacts, both the cable end and the socket on the mount.

Clear skies,

#12 R Nitzel

R Nitzel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

I cleaned the connections a few weeks back while troubleshooting another problem (Error 17) that turned out to be a USB issue. I'm using a 110V to 12V power source and I've verified the power is good. I did just notice that the power light occassionally flickers, so you may be correct about internal issues. I'm still waiting for Celestron to email me back. I've tried calling, but keep getting interrupted while waiting on hold and have to hang up. South Texas has clear skies because of me - No Scope, No Clouds. Thanks for the responses.

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

I cleaned the connections a few weeks back while troubleshooting another problem (Error 17) that turned out to be a USB issue. I'm using a 110V to 12V power source and I've verified the power is good. I did just notice that the power light occassionally flickers, so you may be correct about internal issues. I'm still waiting for Celestron to email me back. I've tried calling, but keep getting interrupted while waiting on hold and have to hang up. South Texas has clear skies because of me - No Scope, No Clouds. Thanks for the responses.

Before doing _anything_ else, check the mount with the 12vdc power cord and a battery if possible. I doubt there is an internal problem, more than like it is the connector. If, like most mounts, the male (scope) end is a two piece pin, try spreading the halves of the pin apart gently.

#14 R Nitzel

R Nitzel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

I think I'm declaring it officially dead. I checked with a 12vdc cord and battery, as Rod suggested. I still get the red power light, but nothing else. Then decided to tempt fate and I took the cover off. Verified 12VDC on the backside of the power plug and the backside of the switch. Also found DC voltage on the circuit board. I quit there before I destroyed my warranty (arc marks on the board may be too obvious), and buttoned it back up. At this point, I'm just (im)patiently waiting for the Celestron email.

#15 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

At this point, I'm just (im)patiently waiting for the Celestron email.

Best to just call and wait on hold. You will then get the RMA on the phone that day. Even when you get an e-mail response, it will just point you to common things to check and you'll have to write back and then wait ....

#16 R Nitzel

R Nitzel

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

As I was sitting on hold today, I got the email from Celestron. He suggested that I try a few things. I told him I'd already tried everything he'd suggested based on what y'all told me. So, it should be headed to California tomorrow.

#17 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

Ryan,
I am also having the same problem, and I also have done all the things that you have. How long did you have to wait to talk to someone? Did they also pay for shipping or did you have to? I am going to call them on Monday and see what they have to say about my mount.
Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics