• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 highwood

highwood

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

Ron:

Having no experience with Benro, I can't offer a comparison that might help push you over the edge. I can only repeat that the Gitzo is a wonderfully engineered piece of equipment that is a pleasure to use. Sure, it was painful to pay for the thing (a couple of years ago it was a bit less expensive, though still pretty stiff), but I have never regretted the purchase. For years I had a fabulously portable telescope and a reasonably portable mount, but not a tripod that I could easily take anywhere on a moment's notice. So for me the Gitzo was kind of a Holy Grail: light, strong, compact, super high quality. My advice: if you can swing the money, you won't be sorry. As Gary says, better to buy once and buy right.

Jim

#27 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

• Loc: N.E. WI Sky Glow

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:55 PM

I'm looking for an ultra-light/compact tripod to use with either my 66SD or 80FD scopes for air travel. I was looking at the Benro Travel Angle C-169. Ant other suggestions?

#28 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

I'm looking for an ultra-light/compact tripod to use with either my 66SD or 80FD scopes for air travel. I was looking at the Benro Travel Angle C-169. Ant other suggestions?

The 3 series Gitzo would handle that just fine. I use a 90 mm scope on a Telepod head on the 3 series and can literally lift up the entire setup with my little finger.

#29 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

Thanks Paul, I was looking for it to fold up shorter, like 15" - 16" though.

#30 Wes James

Wes James

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:30 AM

I have a Feisol Tripod, one of their larger, heavier-duty models- 3 section C/F legs with the CNC machined head... nice worksmanship, I'm very happy with it. I use it for Digiscoping. They make a travellor that collapses to just under 17"...

#31 Ron B

Ron B

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Paul, I was looking for it to fold up shorter, like 15" - 16" though.

Chris, the Feisol 3441S has a load capacity of 22 lbs. and folds to 16.9". Gitzo GT1550T has a load capacity of 9.9 lbs. and folded is 14". The Gitzo Basalt GT2940C has a 22 lb. capacity folds to 17.3" and weighs 3.2 lbs.

Ron

#32 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:34 PM

Thanks Ron :bow:

#33 Ron B

Ron B

Vostok 1

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

Good luck on your new tripod purchase Chris, please post when you make your decision. I am very interested in some impressions on the Benro tripods with astronomy applications. They look like a quality product, especially for the price.

After a lot of deliberation I have finally made a decision for a tripod to mate with my Half Hitch. With all the great responses here on CN regarding their experiences with Gitzo, especially with the Series 5, I will be placing an order for the Gitzo GT5531S.

A couple of more questions for the Gitzo crowd. What vendor did you purchase your Gitzo from? What experiences have anyone had with B&H or Adorama? Prices for the Gitzo are basically the same, either of the two vendors stand out in customer service?

Thanks again for all the help throughout this process!

Ron

#34 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

A couple of more questions for the Gitzo crowd. What vendor did you purchase your Gitzo from? What experiences have anyone had with B&H or Adorama? Prices for the Gitzo are basically the same, either of the two vendors stand our in customer service?

I purchased my little Gitzo from my local camera store -- I like to steer some business to the local stores to help keep them in business.

However, I purchase the majority of my camera gear and an occasional piece of astro gear from B&H and Adorama. I've had very good experiences with both stores. Both have processed my returns promptly and with no hassle. You do have to pay for both the original shipping and the return shipping for returns (even defective merchandise); that is the cost of doing business with a discount NYC store.

I usually simply pick the one with the best price. Recently Adorama has offered free shipping on a lot of products and that is often the deciding factor. If you have to pay for shipping, B&H usually has slightly lower rates on the shipping. If the price is exactly the same, I will usually go with B&H: they process the orders a bit more quickly, their shipping rates are a bit lower, and the inventory shown on their Web site is usually more accurate. A few times Adorama has shown something in stock when it is not.

One final note: either store may call on the telephone to confirm the order if you are a new customer. This isn't a bait and switch like some of the sleazy NYC discounters. They are just trying to avoid fraud, which is a big problem with NYC retailers. After the first order, they won't call unless there is a problem (e.g., item out of stock).

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

#35 Chris Schroeder

Chris Schroeder

Cosmos

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Ron, I think I’m still leaning towards the Benro Travel Angle at this point. None of the others seem to as light in weight/size with in it's weight load class. I have lots of metal tripods but nothing like this. The tripod I have been using is a Davis & Sanford Compact-C, a nice light weight yet stable tripod, it’s just not compact. This is a tripod that I would only use a couple of times a year. With the increased cost of overweight/extra baggage charges with the airlines now days, I want some light and compact and can move to my carry-on if necessary when I travel.

Thanks for everyone’s help here and I will post a mini review of which ever I decide on.

#36 Paul G

Paul G

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

A couple of more questions for the Gitzo crowd. What vendor did you purchase your Gitzo from?

Company 7.

#37 Mike K

Mike K

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

Amazon.com

#38 Ron B

Ron B

Vostok 1

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

Placed the order for the Gitzo 5531.

I am really impressed with how much everyone appreciates their carbon fiber tripods and I am looking forward to the experience of using a well manufactured light weight grab and go set up.

Thanks to everyone for all the thoughtful and helpful responses!

Ron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics