Photo

Starbook versus SSK2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kagoshima

Kagoshima

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:21 AM

Hi,

I have a Starbook with my Skypod and it works great for what it claims to do, very easy to find the objects etc. once it is aligned. However, if you want to look at something "off the beaten path" so to speak (for example,if I want to check out a variable star or any particular star say one that has just been discovered to have a planet around it and it is not in the Starbook's database)what do others do? I thought that if I know the star's RA and DEC then I just have to move to the RA and DEC in the chart mode and once I am there then I just hit scope mode and the scope should slew to it. I have not had the scope out for a while and cannot confirm this but I was wondering if others have tried this or what others who have a Starbook do? My other question is a fairly simple one but I cannot seem to find the answer to it from the advertisements. Does the Skysensor 2000 allow the user to directly input the RA and DEC numbers into the unit, then hit GOTO and there you are? If there are any other differences between the two units I would be all ears!!
Thanks for any help,
Chris

#2 lionel

lionel

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:13 PM

Yes. That's how I move my Sphinx SXD to an object that is not in the Starbook database. In Chart mode zoom the crosshairs to the target's RA and DEC then hit goto. Works fine but it's slower and more tedious than entering coordinates via a numerical keypad.
Lionel

#3 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

IMO Vixen took a step or two backwards with the starbook. Yes you can directly enter the coordinates for goto with the SS2K.....From what I have read the starbook does not save any alignment settings from session to session also.....SS2K does. It took me a couple months but I located a new old stock SS2K-PC, found a source for the last ROM upgrade to v2.10 and never looked back.....Installed it on my GP-DX and have been very happy with it.

#4 Kagoshima

Kagoshima

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:43 AM

Hi,

Thank you both for your comments and insights into the use of these two units. I have a GPD2 mount and I am thinking about GOTOizing it in the future. I am a little surprised by Vixen's prices for the Starbook S and motor package (US $899)and I cannot seem to find anyone who sells the SS2K PC version. Do either of you know who does or is it best to go used?
Thanks,
Chris

#5 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:00 AM

SS2K is no longer in production AFAIK.....so if you want one you will have to find a used one.

#6 Waldemar

Waldemar

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:13 AM

Ganymedes in Holland has a second hand GP mount with SS2K for sale:
http://www.ganymedes...05549/Products/"VGPSS%20inruil"
just a tip...

regards, Waldemar

#7 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

The newest mount offered by Vixen, the Gaiax, comes with the Sky Sensor 2000 so I'm wondering if the Sky Sensor will become available again for those who want it for the other mounts.

#8 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:08 AM

Maybe they decided the SS2K was worthy of keeping around, which IMO would be very true. I have not personally evaluated the starbook but have seen enough comments about its shortcomings that I dont plan to waste time on it :)

#9 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

Here's a photo of the new mount, which I took at NEAF:

Attached Files

#10 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:05 AM

Wow.....I bet that thing would hold my SV70ED with no problem :)

And yep there is the SS2K hanging in plain sight. Of course it only makes sense since that is definately an observatory class mount. I suspect they didnt want to listen to the snickers if they hung a starbook on it that doesnt save its alignment settings from one session to the next LOL.......

Here's a photo of the new mount, which I took at NEAF:

#11 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

It's only made-to-order. And it is mighty big!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics