• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

• Loc: Winter Garden, FL, USA

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

Hello sketchers.

I guess I'm stuck with an extended case of the Scope Curse (which I actually expected), but I wasn't expecting work to blow up in a frenzy of activity and the kids are consuming more time than ever too.

So I haven't had a chance to do anything for nearly 2 months... Well, I shouldn't say "nothing" as I've been working on some lunar practice sketching but have not had any success that I wanted to share, and I've been lurking on all of your efforts but haven't really had a chance to post anything more than "wow, great sketch"...I hope you don't mind.

Any ideas on how you deal with the "sketching blues" and get inspired to get out of a funk? How do you generate so much material so quickly?

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

Jim,

Same boat. Three days in three months isn't much. I need clear skies to get out of the funk. Knowing my luck the weather will clear this weekend since the wife and I are going to San Diego for our anniversary. Then when we get back next Wednesday I'm sure it will cloud up again.

#3 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

You're not alone. The last clear night I had was the full moon, my 10 day forecast shows nothing but thunderstorms.

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:31 AM

Jim

What can we say about the moon and when it is viewable? For years since I bought my first Tasco 60mm telescope at age 14 in 1968, I thought the moon was a dead cold cratered rock that I grew tired of seeing. I thought if you saw one crater, you've seen em' all. Who'd know that one day I rediscovered astronomy by way of the sun in 1999?

Now back to the moon and win monthly sketch contests twice with it in recent months voted over the photography? Plus a few other monthly wins in lunar skethcing only (not against photography.) Go figure! :cool:

But the weather lately? It has been cloudy in Portland for most of the year so far. I think we had more clear nights last winter than all spring so far. I honestly do not know how I got the nights to sketch those award winners, and one no less was in January at 33 degrees ambient temperature!

The Summer Solstice is on the way soon! A portent of good things to come!

Best of luck in future sketching!

(Practice from photographs in the mean time? Or try a portrait of a family member? In life we have so many choices . . .)

Mark
www.markseibold.com

My CN Sketch Gallery

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

Jim,

I know how you feel. I am back home after a few days in Arizona, nothing but clouds and rain here every day. It was bright and sunny every day in the southwest. We seem to live in all the wrong places.

Frank :)

#6 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

Thanks everyone, and looking at the forecast for me today there's a small glimmer of hope for tomorrow night, though fog isn't usually predicted very well in our forecasts so that could rear it's ugly head.

I have been trying some crater sketches using the photos from Charles Wood's "The Modern Moon" but haven't been happy with how they come out.

#7 TomN

TomN

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:51 PM

Yep, thought I would get out tonight, but we are having a dust storm of all things....the only good news is the thunderstorms seem to have dissipated....maybe after midnight. We'll see.

#8 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:56 AM

I got out tonight! Just got in. Might be rough tomorrow since 6:30a.m. comes early when one goes to bed at 3:00a.m. Anyway, I spent a night with the Globulars in Orphiuchus and a couple of planetary nebula's. I only observed and sketched six items because I spent the first two hours with my 15 year old as he bagged M51, M101, M41 and M106 in Ursa Major. I was amazed at his descriptions of what he was seeing, oh to have young eyes! Actually just spending time together in the hobby makes for a terrific night.
Anyway, as I get time to go over my sketches and scan them I'll post one or two up. One more good night (maybe) tomorrow then clouds and threats but by next Wednesday . . . summer should be here.

#9 varmint

varmint

I invite more abuse

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

I got out tonight! Just got in.

Congrats Jay! We had modestly clear skies last night, but work and family conspired to keep me inside. I did setup the scope to cool (also wanted to try and play with a new artificial star I just got), but after sundown it dewed up like mad (because I forgot to put on the dew prevention... *SIGH*).

Now it looks like I'm going to be dealing with fog again for the next week.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics