14 replies to this topic

#1 nobbygon

nobbygon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:06 PM

Hi,
Im in the market for a new mount and im interested in the skywatcher EQ6 and celestron CGEM. I was just wondering which one everyone thinks is better for astrophotography (guided and unguided). Is there any any other mounts in this price bracket I should be looking at? Im thinking of mounting a LX200 ACF 8" onto it.

Cheers, Angus

#2 DanB

DanB

No Capos Allowed

• -----
  • Loc: Central Oregon High Desert

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

With some adjustments and tweaking the EQ6 is a wonderful low cost mount. I run dual saddle, 80mm guidescope and a 10 inch newtonian on the other side, both with extensions, one with a Baader MPCC and Q8 CCD, the guidescope with a Meade DSI and it runs smooth as silk. Since I know nothing about the CGEM I cant speak on the comparison but seems I read that is a really good mount out of the box.
The EQ6 goto's are good.. the tracking (After some regreasing and adjusting gear mesh)is good enough for me. The guys in the astrophotogography community are boasting some phenomenal images using this mount and a simple autoguide setup.

I use mine with the 8 inch newt as well, even lighter so its better. With the 10 inch its loaded.. I dont think I'd go beyond. Hope it helps a little!! If you have any specific questions about it feel free to message me.
GL, Dan :bow:

#3 adamsp123

adamsp123

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: welshpool mid wales UK

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:49 AM

Lots ok imaging is done in the UK using the EQ6, a very solid value for money mount.

#4 nobbygon

nobbygon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:40 AM

Has anyone read any good CGEM reviews? I cant seem to find any. Thanks for the input so far as well.

#5 aljo

aljo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:54 AM

I opened a thread about 2 weeks ago (you can find it, it's probably 3 or 4 pages down the forum), there were no links to reviews, but some owners commented on it. You also have a thread called "OK, who's happy with their CGEM" and that's about it, as far as "reviews" are concerned.

I will be buying it in autumn (at least I hope)...

#6 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

I have an HEQ5 - the baby brother of the EQ6 Pro, and the tracking appears spot on. So I imagine that the EQ6 should be the same. I can get 2 minutes unguided. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either, but the Celestron all star polar alignment I"m still skeptical of: is it accurate enough to get good polar alignment. Somehow having a polar scope feels more resssuring. I guess since you can physically see and perform the alignment. In the CGEM's case, you're relying on the software to do the job.

#7 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:30 AM

From a strictly mechanical standpoint (leaving the drive motors and electronics out of the conversation) it appears that the two mounts are virtually identical aside from some differences in the castings and the altitude and azimuth adjustments. I'm pretty sure that the worm gears and worm wheels are exactly the same parts in both mounts.

Some folks like that the CGEM has a permanent periodic error correction routine but I haven't read much about how well it works yet so IMO the jury is out on this. Also, there's a polar alignment assist in the CGEM software that folks seem to like and appears to work very well.

#8 aljo

aljo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Slovenia, Europe

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:14 AM

CGEM has servo and EQ6 has stepper motors. That's quite a physical difference. I don't know what that means "under the stars", but it is a difference.

The CGEM also has a losmandy-style saddle

#9 rdegoutier

rdegoutier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: White Rock, BC, Canada

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

I recently moved from a CPC 925 to an EQ6 Pro with a MAK-Newt 190. So far, very happy with it, and have been able to do up to 5 minute exposures without autoguiding.

The only negative I have is the HC, which is very primitive compared to the Celestron HC. I assume (someone tell me if I'm wrong) the CGEM has a similar HC to the CPC 925.

This one major difference would make me seriously consider the CGEM mount over the EQ6 if I was to do it again.

#10 donsinger1

donsinger1

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

The hand controller is the same as your C9.25 and are very good and easy to use. Also, the Polar Alignment routine works very well...I have done 5 minute guided exposures at 735mm Focal Length with round stars, and I do not see why I could not just truck along and do longer (but I won't due to local light pollution).

Don

#11 Bob D

Bob D

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

I took a look at both (actually an Atlas instead of an EQ6) on the display floor of my local 'scope store. One thing I liked better about the CGEM was the smooth single knob adjustment to raise the altitude. On the Atlas, you need to adjust two "opposed" screws to fix the altitude.

#12 pkkoot

pkkoot

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

Is there any advantages/disadvantages of servo vs stepper?

#13 Bob D

Bob D

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

Is there any advantages/disadvantages of servo vs stepper?

There is a post in this forum on 5-25 about "servo vs. stepper."

By the way, could someone please tell me how to embed the "green links" that I frequently see? I assume it has something to do with using a UBB code.

#14 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

By the way, could someone please tell me how to embed the "green links" that I frequently see? I assume it has something to do with using a UBB code.

Look below the text input box and you'll see a bunch of shortcuts to various UBB codes. The "URL" link will let you insert a link, the "Image" link will let you display an image you have stored somewhere on the Web, etc.

#15 Bob D

Bob D

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

Charlie,

Thanks.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics