• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

Howdy all;

Because I always felt that my Sirius mount was a little light in the pants to deal with my 6" f/8 refractor, I bought a CGEM yesterday at Starizona in Tucson.

Last night I set it up and it worked great. Command structure much like my old Nexstar 11 GPS and accurate GOTOs with great tracking. A little noisy, I may put in some grease, but that is only happening during the slews, once it in on an object it is silent unless you put your ear to the motor cover.

I really like the big handles and smooth motion to get it on the Pole. I tried out the Polar Align and I don't see any need for a polar scope. It tracked Saturn for half an hour and it barely moved in the field of a 6.7mm eyepiece.

The system takes about 3 seconds to calm down with same eyepiece, much better than the Sirius. This is a much beefier mount than the big refractor has had in the past.

Lots of fun;
Steve Coe

Attached Files

#2 Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Metal Whisperer

• Loc: Loc: Loc:

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

Thats really sharp looking Steve. Congrats on the new mount!
How's the weight compared to the Sirius?

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:11 AM

That's a sweet setup Steve. I am sorely tempted to flip my Atlas for a CGEM. I really like the Nexstar firmware and the updates to things like the altitude adjustment embodied in the CGEM. One of the beautiful things about Nexstar is the ability to slew to RA and Dec coordinates. This is a godsend when working from lists and tables (double star lists, variable star lists, carbon star lists, etc.) that list objects not contained in the typical onboard catalogs.

Time to update the 'ol signature my man. You still list the Sirius for the 6" f/8. :grin:

Regards,

Jim

#4 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:42 AM

Kerry, I would say the CGEM is about half again as heavy as the Sirius, so it is definately heavier, but there is only that one heavy lift and then you are set up. Not a big thing.

Jim, as I said I am very happy and the handpaddle is very similar to my old Nexstar 11, so very little training for me. You know I have made lots of observing lists over the years and so having RA-DEC Goto right at my fingertips and not having to put them into handpaddle memory is very convenient.

Yes, I need to update the sig;
Steve Coe

#5 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Sonoma, Northern California

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

Nice looking setup Steve. Congratulations. I am giving serious consideration to upgrading to the CGEM and reading reports like yours really helps.

#6 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

Steve,

Congrats on the new rig. I wish you more happy years together.

Time to take a new photo and update the avatar, too. :roflmao:

Ron

#7 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

Gentlemen;

You are very welcome. I have no doubt that lots of people will be taking a look at the new Celestron mounts. I have no need for the new big mount (CGE Pro?), but at Riverside it also looked really good.

Let me have a while to update the avatar, but I can do that as well.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

#8 Project Galileo

Project Galileo

Viking 1

• Loc: Jefferson County, Colorado

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

Sweet!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics