3 replies to this topic

#1 jamida

jamida

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Washington (state)

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Hi

I'm considering getting a tripod for my Coronado PST with the expectation that I can sometimes use it with my Canon EOS.

I tried a friend's Orion XHD Paragon-Plus and it seems fine but then I looked around and found some other mid-range tripods at camera shops and they seem as good and a bit less expensive than the Orion. Specifically:

Slik Pro 340 $110
Sunpak 9002DX $50 (?!?)

The Orion is $142.

I expect most folks here may be more familiar with the Orion one than any specific tripod from a camera shop, so the question is ... would you recommend the Orion over *any* similarly priced and equipped camera tripod? Do you believe the Orion may be a bit overpriced?

To be clear... I'm looking for a pan-able mount to make it easy to adjust to re-center the sun, a max height in the 55"+ range and a load capacity of 5 lbs or more.

Thanks

Mike

#2 starbux

starbux

Messenger

• Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

When viewing the Sun through the PST you will probably want slo-mo controls, especially at higher powers. The Synta/Orion AZ-3 mount works really good with the PST.

#3 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:39 PM

I use a Takahashi Teegul (Lapides) mount with my PST. It is probably a little bit of overkill but I use the mount for other scopes as well. Like starbux said, you will definitely want slo-mo controls. Makes all the difference in the world...

Sergio

#4 Maureen

Maureen

Geek Mom

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

I use the Orion Paragon Plus mount fo my PST (and occasional binocular viewing) and it works well. Didn't pay full price for it since it was "lightly" used soI felt I got a good deal. Recently purchased the Vixen mini portamount for my ST 80. Haven't had much opportunity to use it yet but it would also work well with the PST.
Maureen

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics