*fixed* Need help with new Orion SVP GoTo Setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bugsi

Bugsi

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:37 AM

[Edit: One of the controller's options was "factory settings restore" so I did that, and re-entered my location data. I think it had me set for time zone +8 rather than -8. I just completed a 3 star alignment and I'm already pulling up objects. Woo hoo!]

I'm hoping anyone knows what is going on with my new GoTo for my Skyview Pro. . . I'm 100% new to GoTo so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

During the 3-star alignment process the first object my controller selects is Vega. I'm aimed directly north at Polaris with the GEM and scope rough-polar-aligned.

I accept Vega, which is off to my right, and the scope slews off to the left, thinking it is aligned to Vega. Specifically it slews to 336°45', +38°46'.

During setup I put in my coordinates in California (122°00' W x 37°24' N), set my time zone as -8:00, set the date and time, set Yes to Daylight Savings Time, but then the controller shows: "Polaris HA=20:31 (the number varies from time to time), and Clock = 7:44 (also varies.) -The user manual doesn't say anything about this screen, the last thing it talks about is Daylight Savings Time before going straight to the 3 star alignment. I don't know what the bit about Polaris is.

So that's where I'm stuck right now.
Anyone have any insights? I've got clear skies and a misguided GoTo at the moment!

All suggestions greatly welcomed.
-Mark

#2 Gunner

Gunner

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bellville,Texas

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:41 AM

Mark, I'm not familiar with the Go-To for the SVP, only the Atlas, I'm not sure how similar they are.
Check to see if there's a option for northern or southern hemisphere.

As far as the screen regarding Polaris I just bypass it, honestly, I'm not 100% sure what it's function is, but I'm sure someone can elaborate.

Good luck.

Allen

#3 rdegoutier

rdegoutier

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: White Rock, BC, Canada

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

As far as the screen regarding Polaris I just bypass it, honestly, I'm not 100% sure what it's function is, but I'm sure someone can elaborate.

The first number (HA) is the actual position of Polaris relative to the NCP on a 24 hour clock.
The second number (Clock) shows the position of Polaris in the Polar scope on a 12 hour clock. This would be reversed from the actual position of Polaris. This second number is very useful for polar alignment. With it, you don't need to use the Polarfinder program. Simply position the small circle in the polar finder scope to this clock position then adjust your mount to place Polaris in this circle, using the Altitude bolts and Azimuth adjustment knobs.

For example, at 9:50 this morning, at my location (-8), Polaris will be directly above the NCP (if I could see it). HA = 00:00, Clock = 06:00. I position the small circle at the exact bottom of the Polaris ring, maneuver Polaris into it, and I'm done.

#4 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:36 AM

About the Polaris position screen. Those two numbers are always hard for me to remember the meaning of unless used frequently.

The Hour Angle (HA) is the number of hours in RA Polaris is relative to the local meridian and the north celestial pole. Directly above the pole would be 0 HA, directly below would be 12. Numbers count up in a counter-clockwise direction, when facing north.

The "Clock" number relates the Polaris position to the position of the hour hand on a 12-hour clock face. This number is therefore counting clockwise. The "trick" with this number is it assumes you are looking through a polar axis scope, with the image upside down and reversed. So, for example, a Clock number of 6:00 corresponds to the Hour Angle of 0, a clock number of 3:00 corresponds to an HA of 6. A clock number of 6:45 would be an HA of 22:30.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics