Photo

CGEM no responce 17, how many people have this.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

So I got my CGEM at the end of April. The first thing I did when I got it was to set it up and through the switch. It worked like a champ. No problems, wasn't too loud, life was good. Then we have had two months of clouds and rain. This made me an unhappy camper, but today was really the first time that I could get it out under the stars.
As soon as I get home I set everything up for a short night of AP. I then through the switch for the second time and I get NO RESPONCE 17. I now that I have good power, I tried two different batteries, two different HC's, I've tried the AUX plug and always the same error code. I would like to know how many people that bought this mount has had this problem and also any help, did I miss something is there anything else I can try? I really don't want to send it back, as it was, it took 3 months to this one.
Any help,comments or if anyone want's to vent their frustration as I was doing(lots of words that would have made my mother blush)a few hours ago would be greatly appreciated.
Dan :( :( :( :( :confused: :confused:

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

This seems to be an epidemic. I don't own one, but when the 2 CGEs I owned gave the infamous 17 error, it usually ended up being the Dec axis cable. However, if I'm not mistaken, there are no external cables on the CGEM. Isn't there a manual that translates the codes?

David

#3 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

David,
I found a web sight that said that this code means that either you have a power problem or the motor processer is bad. If this is a design problem you would think that they would redesign the problem out of a new mount before they shipped them.
Dan

#4 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:41 PM

sn't there a manual that translates the codes?

David

"17" is a communications error. A command was sent to the DEC motor control board and no response was received. This is frequently caused by low power supply voltage, but a cable problem or a brain-dead motor controller will, of course, cause the same message.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:17 AM

sn't there a manual that translates the codes?

David

"17" is a communications error. A command was sent to the DEC motor control board and no response was received. This is frequently caused by low power supply voltage, but a cable problem or a brain-dead motor controller will, of course, cause the same message.

Yep. With "power" and "HC cable" bein' the usual culprits rather than the Motor Control Board.

#6 GeorgeNC

GeorgeNC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Land of the Sky, North Carolina

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

Some explanation at this website:

No Response Errors

I got #16 and #17 one night with the new CGEM, but checked the connections (electrical and hc) and haven't gotten the error message since then.

#7 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

Thanks guys for the responces,
I have checked everything that I could think of, plus a few that I have seen on CN. I belive that it's dead. So, I will be call Celestron on Monday. I hope that they don't give me the run around. I'll keep you up to date.
Dan

#8 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 21 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

Ok here is an interesting twist. I thought that I would give the mount a try againg, I fgured that I didn't have anything to lose. I pluged everything in like I did before and got the same thing. Then I held down the undo botton and I got CGEM READY. What if anything did the undo botton do? Should I hold off calling Celestron until it happenes again? Or am I luck and the Genie went back in to the HC?
Dan

#9 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

Did you attempt an alignment? What you may have done is reset the HC to the default settings and that may be all that you needed to do. I had to do that with one of my CGEs. If so, just reenter all of the information and see what happens.

David

#10 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:13 AM

I'd still contact Celestron to document your problem.

#11 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

Here is an update.
I called celestron on Monday, they said that they want to take a look at it. They will even pay for the shipping. Heres the rubb, it is going to take up to 2 months to get it back. Right now it seams to be working fine. I have only had the problem happen one more time, so should I send it back or should I wait for it to take a dump for good. I know that I should send it in but if I do there goes most of my summer.
Dan

#12 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:34 AM

Shouldn't they give you a replacement when they take it back for repair for such long time? Two months is really long time.

#13 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:56 AM

I would like to think so, but they didn't say anything about that. I have an email in to them about the shipping I will ask them about that when I get a response.
Dan

#14 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Apollo

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

Shouldn't they give you a replacement when they take it back for repair for such long time? Two months is really long time.

Yeah, you can wait two months for a repair or three months for a replacement! :lol: (Like I did... :p)

Beo

#15 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

Beo,
I hope that it is a simple problem and that I will get it back ASAP. They finally sent me the shipping lable. So as soon as I can I am going to ship it out. I must say that this really bites though. I spent a lot of dough for this mount, I had to wait for 3 months to get it the first time and now I have to wait maybe 2 more months before I can even use it. :bangbangbang: :bangbangbang:
Dan

#16 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

• Loc: Nebraska

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:12 PM

I have been having the same problem with my CGEM. I got mine in late March and it worked in my basement. I finally got a clear night and took it out and after slewing I getting "No Response 17". It worked after I rebooted but kept getting the "No Response 17". It finally would not boot and would time out and say "No Response 17". I called customer support and they had me use a small flat head screw driver to pry apart the pins inside power connection on the mount. I did this and it started booting up again. It appeared to work fine. I took it outside this weekend and after slewing for alignment it started giving me the error "No Response 16". It kept doing it over and over. I gave up and called customer support and they offered to ship it for free but a 2 month wait for repair. I told them that I needed it for the Nebraska Star Party in July and it was unacceptable. They said that they were sorry but that is all they can do. I wanted them to send a replacement but would not. I was about to send it it back. However, I connected a Scopestuff extension cable and now it seems to be aligning without any problem. The problems could be caused by stretching the HC cable during alignment and causing a loose connection. I am going to wait and see how it performs during the Star Party. It has not repeated the error since connecting the cable. Hope this helps.

#17 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for the reply wboeck. I have tried the screw drive fix and it didn't help. Right now it is an intermitint problem. So I am not sure if I want to send it back. However, Celestron gave me a call tag for the mount and it is only good for 10 days. So I will have to make up my mind soon. If I send it in and they say that there is nothing wrong with it I would have been without my mount for two months for nothing. On the other hand if I don't send it in and it poops the bed they may not take it back because I didn't send it in when I started to have the problem. I am in a quandery as to what to do.
Dan

#18 GaryML

GaryML

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

If you keep it and it fails during the warranty period, then I don't see how they could deny warranty service. The fact that you didn't send it in at the first sign of trouble shouldn't void the warranty. It is certainly easier to fix something that has failed completely as compared to an intermittent problem.

#19 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

Am wondering if maybe the problem was sticking keys causing unrecog bit patterns to controller? Maybe next time try 'exercising' all keys on the pad to be certain none are sticking half way ? That the UNDO cleared the problem eventually to me says 'garble', esp as switch cycling didn't clear it. I know the times I've had 'ERROR' show up I cycled power, tapped HS controller, reseated connect, and pressed all the buttons and problem went away... as did my alignment.

So maybe just the HC needs replacing? just a thought - hopefully that would not take 2 months? It would be nice if the honeymoon had lasted longer, wouldn't it?.

Your response from the manufacturer is characteristic and not unusual if that helps. Mine was the same for a new CGE mount (bought abt 8 months ago) under near identical timing from purchase.

Good luck to you.

#20 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

Dan,
mine is also intermitint. This weekend, it would get close to finishing alignment but then it would say "No Response 16" and would sometimes start an uncontrollable slew. It seemed to start when I started to center the alignment star which happened to be "Arcturus". I had to position low and behind the mount looking upward towards the zenith. The HC chord is not very long so I had to pull tight. This may be messing up the connection to the mount and giving me the error message and erractic behavior. The extension cable from scopstuff provides plenty of slack so it does not pull on the connection. So far it seems to be working. I hope to test it again on a clear night. I really get fustrated with wasting clear observing chances. If it happens again I will send it in for service.

Wayne

#21 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Thanks guys,
CW, I don't think that it was the HC. When it first happened I hit every button on the HC and nothing happened. It started to work when I held down the undo button and fliped the power switch. So what that did I don't know.
Wayne,
I think that I will get the extention for the HC. The placement of the jack together with the very short cord mandates (I think) a longer cord.
Ok, I need advice from everyone. Should I send it back? Keeping in mind that Celestron is payinbg for the shipping and not me. So if I wait I will have to pay shipping.
Dan

#22 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:11 AM

Ok, I need advice from everyone. Should I send it back? Keeping in mind that Celestron is payinbg for the shipping and not me. So if I wait I will have to pay shipping.
Dan

Is it working every time now? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I have occasionally had these errors for one reason or another with my Nexstar HC scopes, but only very occasionally.

#23 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

Rod,
It seems to be working fine now. I will try to get it out tonight, that is if the clouds will stay away.
DAN

#24 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

Dan
Since it takes two months to get it back from Celestron, I am holding off on sending mine in for repair until after I get back from the NE star party in July. I have a feeling the extension chord has fixed my errors.

Try the extension chord and see if you can replicate the error. If the error starts again, call them back and they should give you another postage label. Sending it to them for two months is a long time. Especially in the prime observing time. Before you know it, winter is here.

Wayne

#25 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

Wayne,
I think that I am going to hold off as well. If I send it in now my whole summer is blown. I will get the extention cord and see what happens. So far it hasn't done it again(nock on wood). I will wait for it to die then send it in. I will have to pay for shipping but it's that or have a very borring summer.
Dan

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics