Photo

CGEM no responce 17, how many people have this.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

• Loc: Nebraska

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:56 PM

Dan,
hope that extension chord helps. It is amazing that Celestron did not provide longer ones. I got pretty frustrated when my mount kept giving those errors. Now I need to get some clear nights so I can do some testing and maybe some imaging.

wayne

#27 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

Rod,
It seems to be working fine now. I will try to get it out tonight, that is if the clouds will stay away.
DAN

Even if they don't, try it anyhow...jus' do a fake alignment indoors.

#28 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:32 AM

I have been doing fake indoor alignments almost every day since last weekend and it keeps working fine. Hopefully, it works outdoors the same.

#29 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

• Loc: CO. Aurora, USA

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

I hope both of our mounts will behave. I have also done a few indoor alignments and it works so far.
Dan

#30 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Now if the weather cooperated, I would be able to try it out. It is terrible when it acts up on such clear nights. You have to wait a long time for another.

#31 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:59 PM

I finally got the mount out tonight. I think I have figured out what my problem is. I belive it is the DC power cord that was sent with the mount. I turned it on while it was in the house using the supplied cord and it worked fine. I then broght it out side and pluged in the cord and I got the same error code. So this got me think that maybe the cord was the problem and I took the cord for my CG5 and bang, it fired right up. Come to find out, the plug wolbels in the socket. Even when it is screwed in tight. My other cord is snug as a bug in a rug no more problems. At least not tonight. I plan on calling Celestron on Monday and see if they will send me a new cord and see if that is truely the problem.
I must say that this mount is quiter than the CG5 and the gotos are almost dead center. I really like the all star polar alignment. According to the HC I was only 3 arcseconds off. If that is true I have never been able to get it that close.
Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I really appreciate it.
Dan :jump: :yay:

#32 coper4

coper4

Sputnik

• Loc: Walterboro,SC

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:17 AM

Dan, glad you got your HC to work properly. Every time I have contacted Celestron about a problem they want you to send the bad part back after they send you an RA number and then want to repair it. I think you would be better off going to Radio Shack and getting a new DC plug from them. If I am not mistaken they come with a few various sized tips.
I hope you get a better response from Celestron than I have the last couple of times I have tried to get a replacement part. Again, glad you found the problem.

#33 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

I finally got the mount out tonight. I think I have figured out what my problem is. I belive it is the DC power cord that was sent with the mount. I turned it on while it was in the house using the supplied cord and it worked fine. I then broght it out side and pluged in the cord and I got the same error code. So this got me think that maybe the cord was the problem and I took the cord for my CG5 and bang, it fired right up. Come to find out, the plug wolbels in the socket. Even when it is screwed in tight. My other cord is snug as a bug in a rug no more problems. At least not tonight. I plan on calling Celestron on Monday and see if they will send me a new cord and see if that is truely the problem.
I must say that this mount is quiter than the CG5 and the gotos are almost dead center. I really like the all star polar alignment. According to the HC I was only 3 arcseconds off. If that is true I have never been able to get it that close.
Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I really appreciate it.
Dan :jump: :yay:

Glad you did this experiment...the power cord is, yes, usually the culprit.

#34 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

Dan,
can you spread the pins apart far enough in the power connection on the mount to make the connection tighter? Mine is really tight after prying them apart.

Wayne

#35 Blixx

Blixx

Viking 1

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:29 PM

Thanks guys,
I had a really good night, although it was short. I went on a motorcycle poker run today so I couldn't stay out late. After I started have the same problem I decided that there had to be something wrong with the plug. When I went to take out the plug I noticed that the plug would move and the power came on and off just by touching the end of the plug. Can anyone tell me if there is a different plug size for other Celestron mounts? Maybe they sent the wrong one?
Wayne,
I have tried to spread the tip. Maybe I'll see if I can spread it some more. I didn't go to far with it when I did it the first time, I was afraid of breaking it off.
Dan

#36 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

Dan,
just push the end of the small flat head screw driver between the pins in the power connection port on the mount. They are only pry apart so they should not break off. You should not have to spread them much to tighten the connection. It is strange that they can be separated. I can not do this adjustment on my laptop or other electronic devices. I had no idea there were two pins inside there.

Wayne

#37 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:14 PM

Uh, you certainly can break the pin if you get overly aggressive so you do need to be careful ... a small thin knife blade is usually the best tool. The pin is split lengthwise and widening the split can indeed fix intermittent connections. Celestron uses a 2.1mm pin on all it's scopes/mounts, the only difference being that there is a threaded outer ring on the CGEPro that can be used to more effectively lock the plug into the mount. There are also 2.5mm plugs/sockets in common use and this is often where the power problem comes from (using a 2.5x5mm plug in the 2.1x5mm socket on the scope/mount).

Wayne, bending the whole pin sideways a bit can as you've seen do somewhat the same thing but you do need to be careful as well as the pin can break off at it's base (especially if it's been bent a few times).

#38 NHRob

NHRob

Aurora

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:35 AM

There must be a decent connector to replace this with. The problem is bound to come back over time, usually at a time not very convenient for you.

Rob

#39 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

There must be a decent connector to replace this with. The problem is bound to come back over time, usually at a time not very convenient for you.

Rob

Not in my experience. Once you get the pins sufficiently apart (use a jeweler's screwdriver), the problem is usually banished for good.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics