LXD75 Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy2K63

Jimmy2K63

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

How big of a scope can the LXD75 mount realistically handle? Reason I am asking is I ordered a telescope with that mount. I did not realize that multiple configurations would even work with it. This has me thinking.....about this "other" scope I have..... :-) (Can you see the smoke?)

#2 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Sonoma, Northern California

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

I think the heaviest scope Meade sells with the mount is the SN-10. However, the optimal size is the SN-8. I know for a fact it will handle a 20# load easily and up to 30# is it's maximum before you begin to run into damping issues. I've had the AR-6 and my Antares which both weigh over 20#, my daughters 8" sct ota, and my TV102 on the mount. The worse was the AR-6 because it is so long and creates a heafty momentum swing.

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:06 PM

I read your other post. You got it with the SN6 which is a good choice. You can add stuff, within reason, and not worry about over taxing the mount. The AR6 already mentioned is REALLY pushing it. I own one and have a Megrez 110 on it...not even breathing hard.

The only thing you need to do to have success with your stuff is to balance it well, slightly east heavy so that the worm is always engaged when tracking, and don't expect much if it's windy.

Oh yea....and if you haven't already, order a dew shield and heater strip for the SN6. The corrector plate is a dew magnet!

David

#4 Jimmy2K63

Jimmy2K63

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:27 PM

I read your other post. You got it with the SN6 which is a good choice. You can add stuff, within reason, and not worry about over taxing the mount. The AR6 already mentioned is REALLY pushing it. I own one and have a Megrez 110 on it...not even breathing hard.

The only thing you need to do to have success with your stuff is to balance it well, slightly east heavy so that the worm is always engaged when tracking, and don't expect much if it's windy.

Oh yea....and if you haven't already, order a dew shield and heater strip for the SN6. The corrector plate is a dew magnet!

David

I kinda thought putting that Cave OTA on it would be pushing it, even though Meade does mount a 10 inch reflector on it. With everything in it, it's really pushing the outside limits of that mount - stupid fiberglass tube. The reason I chose the SN6 was to have more mount than scope.

Yes I am familiar with loading the worm to reduce lash. Also was reading about training the drives - I guess it uses that to account for lash. All drives have some, it's inherent.

I have not ordered anything for dew control, but I suspected that corrector plate would be a dew magnet. I was thinking about fabricating something out of hobbyist construction foam for now, but with plans for electric dew controls. I also had planned on using a hair dryer. Please feel free to PM me your suggestion on dew control on that OTA? I just came in, was observing with binoculars and the air is so damp that the seeing is poor, you can feel it on your skin already.

Thanks for your suggestions.

#5 Jerry3672

Jerry3672

Vendor - Quantum Astronomy Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lexington NC

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:03 PM

I'll let the photo speak for my LXD75.

Yes that is a C11 28lb OTA. Works fine when it is well balanced

Attached Files

#6 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:49 AM

I made a dew shield for my SN6 out of Sonotube. If you go to Lowes (or somewhere like it) you will find that the 8-inch Sonotube is listed by nominal diamater-- they are all slightly different so that they can nest them together for shipping.

I measured my SN6 and found a piece of Sonotube that was just slightly larger, got some nylon bolts, and made a very nice dew shield-- it works like a charm.

#7 Jimmy2K63

Jimmy2K63

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Thanks Tom. That's a great idea.

I just got it and set it up. I am very impressed with the rigidity of the LXD75, as well as the overall feel of the equitorial head. It's lock knobs are very intuitive coming from the Astrola mount because I like a mount that I can move manually when I want to. One thing I had not considered is that I like to place my eyepiece so I am viewing from the counterweight side of the mount. With such a short tube, it makes for some interesting positions, but nothing that can't be overcome. I'll power it all up here in a minute and make sure it works, which I am confident it does.

Some of the things I like about the LXD are
1) The polar alignment finder
2) The fine adjustment on the azimuth and the altitude of the head
3) The counterweight stop
4) The graduated latitude scale on the mount. About time.
5) The heavy duty tripod legs, and the way they put the lock knobs inwards.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics