Photo

Moon, Venus, and Mars Conjunction (June 19, 2009)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:30 AM

I was able to observe the conjunction between the Waning Crescent Moon (25.7 days old), Venus (-4.21m), and Mars (1.14m) on June 19, 2009 (10:00 U.T.). I first noted the trio over the eastern sky with the Moon approximately 34 degrees above the eastern horizon, Mars at ~29.5 degrees, and Venus at ~29 degrees. In the bright twilight sky Mars was a little difficult to pick out but once located it was easy to find. The sight was just as impressive using my Oberwerk 11 x 56 mm binoculars. Mars and Venus easily fitted in one binocular field. By combining three binocular fields I can place the trio as I noted them. I hope that others were able to view the conjunction as well.

A digital image produced in Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:33 AM

Below is my 11 x 56 mm Oberwerk binocular observation of the Moon, Venus, and Mars conjunction described above.

A digital image produced using Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 rd56

rd56

Messenger

• Loc: Central New Jersey

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:21 AM

Hi Carlos, Great images. I especially like the way that you portrayed the binocular observation. Thanks for sharing and keep them coming :)

Ron

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

Ron,

Thank you for the compliment on my Moon, Venus, and Mars conjunction observation. It was a pretty sight to see the trio over the eastern horizon. The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

Carlos,

Great sketches. You really do exceptional work with that electronic pallet. I really like the sky color you chose; very realistic for early morning. :bow: :rainbow: :bow:

Frank :)

#6 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

Great sketch it is just like being there.

#7 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:11 AM

Frank and Tommy,

Thank you for your kind compliments on my Moon, Venus, and Mars conjunction observation. I was fortunate to have clear skies for the event as we have been having poor weather lately. The trio was spectacular over the eastern horizon.

Frank- I am happy with my progress using my digital tablet and software (Photoshop), but I am still learning every day. I am excited about future projects that I hope to share with you all.

The best of luck in your own observations.

Carlos

#8 rodelaet

rodelaet

Gemini

• Loc: 50°56' N - 4°58' E (Belgium)

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

Delightful sketches, Carlos!

The composition of the Oberwerk observations is amazing!

Keep up the good work. :jump:

#9 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:18 PM

Stunning conjunction sketch Carlos! :bow: :jump: :bow: I love both drawings, your colors are gorgeous and your twilight blue is perfect as Frank mentioned. The earthshine is awesome and the crescent is rendered with such accuracy and precision. Great work on the shimmering effect on the Planets. Fantastic digital sketchwork from a Master sketcher. :waytogo:

#10 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:29 PM

Rich and Rony,

Thank you for your very kind compliments on my Moon, Venus, and Mars conjunction observation. The sight of the three celestial bodies over the eastern horizon was impressive. The Moon and Venus stood out brilliantly while Mars was a red star next to Venus. I was lucky to have witnessed the event. I am happy that I am capturing the Moon, planets and deep space objects well using my digital tablet. Earthshine is a challenge and I am glad that it looks accurate in my observations.

I look forward to your excellent observations on the future.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics