#1 achille66

achille66

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: athens greece

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:01 AM

hi from athens greece,
one quick question on eq6 pro
is it possible to add aligment stars after a 3 star aligment through the handheld control. i think it is possible through eqmod and a planetarium software, but is it possible through the handheld?
my question has to do with changing area in the sky, going OUTSIDE the triagle of a 3 star aligment. usually when that happens objects seem to be off center.
another way to tackle this would be to enter a new point (i.e. Jupiter) and if that is off the center of the eyepiece then you could enter this as an additional aligment point, thus improving performance of aligment.
am i clear in what i say or does it not make any sense???
i think meade telescopes (autostar) have this capacity.
thank you in advance.
achilleas

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hi.It is not posible to make alignment with more than 3 stars. It is possible though to add the so called pointing accuracy enhancement. This is very similar to the sync function of some planetariums. You make goto to the object, center it and add it as pae object.This way the accuracy for this area of sky is improved.

#3 achille66

achille66

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

thank you neptun2. will try at next outing and come back to you.

i just found out another way to solve this.

the following post is not mine i retrieved it from http://www.iceinspac...ad.php?p=400768
and it was written by mrsnipey dennis. it seems to illustrate a new procedure i was not aware of that solves the issue.

WHY ISNT THIS STUFF IN THE MANUAL???

here we go:

"Here's the exact procedure I follow to do a re-sync:

1. I do a search for an object like Canopus. This is how I set which object I want to re-centre as I couldn't figure out how to change the object once in the re-centering menu.

2. I then press '8' on the number pad, choose 'Named Star' and press the 'Enter' button.

3. I then press the up or down buttons (bottom left and right of the keypad) until the star I want is displayed. (you can do it on any type of object though)

4. I then press 'Enter' 3 times and the telescope slews to where it thinks Canopus should be.

5. I then keep pressing the 'Esc' button until I get out to the main menu. The telescope should still be tracking Canopus.

6. I then set my slewing speed to 3 (I'll explain that in a minute).

7. Then I press 'Esc' to get back to the main menu again.

8. Then I press the '0' button to identify the object the scope is looking at. It should pop up saying:

Canopus off 0.00 degrees

9. I then 'press and hold' the 'Esc' button. At first it goes back to the 'Identify' menu but if you keep the button down it changes to:

'Re-centering obj Canopus'

9. I then use the arrows to center Canopus. The reason I changed the slew speed earlier is that you can't change it during the re-centering process.
I use an 8mm ep to centre the object and at a higher speed the star whooshes all over the place.

10. Once the star is centered, I press the 'Enter' button and it should go back to the main menu and you're done.

11. I then check I have re-centered it by pressing the '0' button to identify the obect I'm pointing at and it pops up with:

Canopus off by 0.00 degrees.

It sounds like a lot to do but once you've done it a few times it only takes seconds.

I should mention that I do all this after I'm happy with my alignment.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any problems.

Denis. "

#4 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

Here is the PAE section from user manual:

The three star alignment methods provide alignment adequate for any visual observing purpose. For
applications that require extra high precision in a particular part of the sky, the SynScanTM provides a
Pointing Accuracy Enhancement (PAE) function to further improve the accuracy. The PAE can be
performed in up to 85 zones to cover the whole sky. The area(s) where the chosen alignment star(s) is located
should be already mapped out accurately by the SynScanTM. Further accuracy enhancement is not necessary.
The following provides a step-by-step procedure on how to perform PAE:
Choose a star as reference object from a star chart or planetarium software. This star should be a
known, bright object that is currently located in the same part of the sky with the object of your interest.
Find the reference object in the SynScanTM hand control database and go-to the object. If the mount
is under the control of the planetarium software, click on the object to slew to it.
Adjust the telescope so that the reference object is in the center of the eyepiece or CCD view.
Press and hold down the ESC key for 2 seconds. The hand control will display "Re-center" and the
name of the reference object will appear in a blinking mode (3 times). If the go-to command is sent
from the planetarium software, instead of the name of the object, the hand control will display "Last
goto object".
Make sure that the reference object is still in the center of the view and press ENTER. If you do not
wish to record the result, press ESC to abort the operation. After pressing ENTER, the SynScanTM
will record the amount of pointing inaccuracy and recalculate the model of the sky. Now the pointing
accuracy of this particular part of the sky should be greatly improved.

The result for the star alignments and PAE is stored in the hand control even after the power has
been shut off. You will only need to perform the star alignment once as long as these two criteria
are met: 1. The telescope is moved to its home position (Park the telescope) before turning off the
power. 2. The telescope setup, including the mount, has not been moved. Accessory change is
acceptable as long as it is done with great caution. When the hand control is turned on for the next
time, make sure that the time entered during initial setup is based on the same source as last time.
For example, if you enter the time on your watch during this observing session, the time you enter
next time should also be read from your watch.

#5 achille66

achille66

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

great stuff, will try it out tommorow.
thank you,
achilleas

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics