Photo

Replace EQ mount with Alt/AZ mount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Javier

Javier

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hi,

I own a Celestron Omni XLT reflector that I use as my secondary scope. My main scope is an 8" Lightbridge. I really like the Omni XLT but after using my Lightbridge I have come to realize that I am mot a fan of EQ mounts.

Is there a Alt/AZ mount that can replace the EQ mount for this telescope? The current mount is a CG-4. I'd like to keep the tripod and just replace the mount.

Thanks,

Javier

#2 eljackso

eljackso

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:24 PM

Javier - I'm in almost the exact same situation... I own an Omni 120 refractor on a CG4 and have realized that I do much more planetary viewing than trying to find DSOs. Since I realixed this I have explored two options - a Williams Optics EZ-Touch Alt-Az (should mount right to the CG4 tripod) or an iOptron Minitower. At this point I'm leaning towards the minitower purely because of the GPS goto; however, the $799.00 price has me on the fence. The WO EZ is somewhere around $350 for just the head. Those are the only two options I have considered, but I'm sure there are many more. Did you have a price range in mind?

#3 Javier

Javier

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:32 AM

Eljackso, I'm not sure about my price range limit yet as this is the first mount I'm buying so I want to keep my options open. I love the XLT 150 but I'm not a EQ mount fan.

#4 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

The Sky-Watcher AZ-4 looks like a nice buy at $250 for your 6" reflector.

http://www.skywatche...tripods-mounts/

No personal experience with that setup, but satisfied users have recommended it on these forums.

#5 Megawatt

Megawatt

Messenger

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

Yes, the AZ4 seems to be pretty nice so far but if you do a lot of high-powered planetary viewing you might miss the slow-motion controls of your EQ mount. I'm just not sure if there is quite the level of precision you would want with powers over 200x. I'm planning on using mine mostly for wide-field observation so it is not as much of a concern.

However I will say that the AZ4 offers good stability and smoothness in it's motions.

#6 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

Hi,

I own a Celestron Omni XLT reflector that I use as my secondary scope. My main scope is an 8" Lightbridge. I really like the Omni XLT but after using my Lightbridge I have come to realize that I am mot a fan of EQ mounts.

Is there a Alt/AZ mount that can replace the EQ mount for this telescope? The current mount is a CG-4. I'd like to keep the tripod and just replace the mount.

Thanks,

Javier

There is the Giro III. I'm mounting my FS 128 on one. They run about $375. I'm adding the ss cwt shaft and 7.5# cwt so the total is about $440. Teton Telescopes retails them, perhaps other retailers as well(?).

Tim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics